Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, there is such a thing as a dumb question...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, there is such a thing as a dumb question...

First, I really want to send out my condolences to TaxGuyCarl...I'm a business accountant and really don't have to deal with tax return clients other than to answer phones and schedule appointments with our preparers.

I've already had 2 phone calls in the last 2 days that really make me dread the rest of this tax season.

Yesterday, I got a call from a person who wanted to know if we could give her a free estimate of what her tax refund would be. Unfortunately, there is no way to do this, there are entirely too many variables and you have to actually figure the return to come up with any answer to that question.

I can sort of see how someone might think that would be possible, so I wasn't terribly disturbed by this particular question. Then today I got this one:

"I had no income in 2009, can I file a tax return and get a refund?"

How would....why would....I don't even know what to say.

So, TaxGuyCarl, no offense, but better you than me!
    TANSTAAFL

My father told me: "If someone asks you a dumbass question, you give them a smartass answer."
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Comment

Who ever said "there are no stupid questions" never worked customer service.
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth bookworm View Post
        First, I really want to send out my condolences to TaxGuyCarl.
        Thanks.
        Quoth bookworm View Post
        Yesterday, I got a call from a person who wanted to know if we could give her a free estimate of what her tax refund would be. Unfortunately, there is no way to do this, there are entirely too many variables and you have to actually figure the return to come up with any answer to that question.
        My organization has a software for just that situation...The estimate tends to be on the high side FWIW.
        Quoth bookworm View Post
        I can sort of see how someone might think that would be possible, so I wasn't terribly disturbed by this particular question. Then today I got this one:

How would....why would....I don't even know what to say.
        Try "No, sorry. You only get a refund when you have some kind of earned income." As a matter of fact I had a convo with a caller just like that Friday evening.
        Quoth bookworm View Post
        So, TaxGuyCarl, no offense, but better you than me!
        None taken. BTW, my handle is with a 'K' not a 'C'.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth bookworm View Post
          While I know it's technically not a refund, I never pay taxes anymore (I know I'll get it back, so I just check the "don't charge me taxes" box on the forms), and I always get money back. So if the person has moved they might be used to tax credits which they can't get unless they file their income tax.

Comment

Working...
          X