This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It helps to write down the right plate number

Last week, my parents received, in the mail, a letter from EXpressToll. For those who don't know what that is, it's an electronic toll collection system that is exclusively Colorado based (I think other places have one called E-Z Pass?). According to them, we owed them money because supposedly our old Suburban was driving on E-470 on February 7th.

Now, my parents and I had spent up until yesterday frantically searching through credit card statements, receipts, and even the pictures I'd taken from when we went to see Cats in Denver a few months ago, trying to find where it said we were driving over the mountains in February. We found nothing, though. Even on my pictures, it dates when they were taken (January 16th), and, even then, we'd driven our new car--a Highlander with a totally different plate--for that trip.

So my dad sends them an e-mail to verify that their information was correct. As it turns out, no, it wasn't. They'd seen a plate number on their camera, written it down wrong, and sent us the notification by mistake. That was kinda scary for a moment, though.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

I'm slightly confused. Why would your dad comferm it if you were innocent? Seems stupid.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Well that's what you get for seeing Cats. :-P (jk jk jk)

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
        I'm slightly confused. Why would your dad confirm it if you were innocent? Seems stupid.
        Because, my dear Plaidman, if he hadn't the issuing state agency could have placed a fine on him. And if the fine wasn't answered soon enough they could turn it over to state police as a toll theft. A warrant would then be issued for the registered owner and even then if he is innocent, it would be much harder to get through red trap that has suddenly snacked about him.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
          Because, my dear Plaidman, if he hadn't the issuing state agency could have placed a fine on him. And if the fine wasn't answered soon enough they could turn it over to state police as a toll theft. A warrant would then be issued for the registered owner and even then if he is innocent, it would be much harder to get through red trap that has suddenly snacked about him.
          Exactly. They were saying that we absolutely had to pay or we'd get a fine. So my dad e-mailed them to make absolutely certain that they did mean to send the notice to us. Which they didn't, so the fee is clear, so all is well now.
          "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I had something similar happen. Several years ago I got a new tag number. The one they sent started with the letters JRK. I requested, and received, and different letter sequence.

Several months later, I got a letter from a college in Norfolk, VA, saying I owed for a parking ticket. It had the tag number I had returned. I called the parking people and told them about it. They believed me. I haven't gotten any more parking tickets from them, so the system must have updated with the new tag owner's name.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Like that poor guy who's vanity plate was XXX-XXXX, which is what police write-down when they don't get the tag number. So this guy got EVERY ticket ever issued to plate #XXX-XXXX!!! Something like $200,000 in fines or such.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

The original was a guy with NO PLATE for his. Then another guy with NOTAG. And also poor MISSING. The Racer X fan with the lucky number 7, thus a plate of XXXXXXX, was later. No dash in that, tho.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/noplate.asp

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Whichever story I read was on AOL news; it was the XXX-XXXX one; I know there are other urban myths out there though.

Hee; I like the 'missing' one, but that's just asking for trouble!
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I read an article in the Telecommunications Digest, back around 1998.

Seems area code 408 started putting cell phone numbers in exchange 888-xxxx.

Steve Wozniak, of Apple Computer fame, decided to grab 408-888-8888 for his cell phone.

He immediately started getting hundreds of calls where the only thing he ever heard on the other end was either silence, or baby babble. Seems every time some baby grabbed a phone and started pressing one button over and over because it made this interesting "beeeeep" noise, if it happened to be the 8, Woz got called...

(Quoted from Wired Magazine, right down at the bottom of the article.)

Comment

Working...
                    X