This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying bacon and sticky feet

I have a couple of brain burp stories from work this week! The first one happened on Thursday, which is my "Monday". It definitely had a case of the Mondays.

During breakfast, we have two cooks. One to man the omelet station (that would be yours truly) and one to cook the food for the buffet and reload it as necessary. As usual on Thursday morning, I arrived at 5 a.m. and began to set up the buffet and the omelet station. The buffet cook is supposed to be arriving at the same time to start cooking the food. It takes a while to make bacon, sausage, grits, oatmeal, fried potatoes, french toast (thankfully, just frozen and needs to be heated), and scrambled eggs. At 5:15 I notice my coworker, K, who usually cooks on Thursday, hasn't arrived. He's normally a bit late, though. I had started the ovens, the fryer, and the hotbox for him already so he wouldn't have to wait on them. Another 10 minutes go by and I'm starting to freak out. He's never that late. I run back to start water boiling for the grits and oatmeal and check the schedule. CRAP!!!! NOBODY is scheduled to cook! I call the executive chef and explain the situation in a voicemail while I start throwing things onto the stove and into the ovens. The next 35 minutes is spent running back and forth between the cooking food and the setup still needing to happen out front. T, one of the bussers, jumps in and helps me with some of the setup.

EC calls me back sounding flustered. He was sure he scheduled K for that day! He later told me he got out of the shower, looked at his phone and saw my number and said "SH!T! Incognitocook doesn't call me unless something's gone wrong!" He had been taking his time getting there just thinking everything was fine.

By some miracle, at 6 a.m., right when we're supposed to open, I'm loading all of the food onto a cart to take it out to the buffet and EC comes barreling in asking "What do you need?!" I told him to grab that pot of oatmeal and follow me! That was much bossier than I usually am with my boss, but he did ask. EC was very apologetic. He made it up to me, too. Usually, I try to set up the line in the restaurant for lunch before breakfast because I'm also the lunch cook and I don't always have time between the two to finish my set-up. EC did my lunch set up for me so I wouldn't have to worry about it and we had a good laugh over it all.

The second story actually happened months ago, but I didn't hear about it until today. It involves a bartender/server who used to work there, named P. He was an awesome guy. Really nice and I miss working with him. However, he could do some goofy things sometimes. One day, his very old, very worn out shoes finally gave out. The sole came completely off of one of them. Thankfully, the fix-it supplies in the kitchen included gorilla glue and the breakfast chef gave him a bottle to fix his shoe with so he could at least finish his shift with them. A while later, P comes back into the kitchen and has this conversation with BC:

P: How do you get gorilla glue off?
    BC: You don't as far as I know.
    P: (worried) Really?
    BC: Yeah, read the label. It's supposed to stick to anything. You might be able to get somewhere soaking it with mineral spirits or gasoline, but that's all I can tell you.

Turns out, P had fixed his shoe - with his foot still in it. His shoe and sock had become permanent fixtures to his foot. I'm sure that adventure lasted well into the night for him. Hopefully, it wasn't too painful.
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.
Working...
X