This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of Them?

Reading another post reminded me of a funny experience I had working in a call center a few years back. I don't think I've posted this one before, and it's definitely not sucky, but I had a good laugh anyway.

I worked in a call center with multiple inbound accounts. One guy calls in from Alabama (or some other southern state) on a free information line (about a bed or mattress, I think). I go through his information request without any trouble--collecting name, address, phone number, etc. Then I get to the closing page, and he throws me a curveball.

(This may be paraphrased a bit. It's been several years since it happened.)

Caller: So, HawaiianShirts, where's your office located? I don't recognize your accent.
    Me: I'm in Utah.
    Caller: Utah, huh? Lots o' Mormons out there?
    Me: Yes, quite a few.
    Caller: Say, can you do me a little favor?
    Me: Maybe. What's the favor?
    Caller: Will you ask the Mormons to pray for me?
    Me: ...?
    Caller: I got some health problems, and I can use all the help I can get, so I was just hopin' you could ask them Mormons to include me in their prayin'.
    Me: All of them? (At the time, there were approximately 11 million "Mormons" worldwide.)
    Caller: Yeah.
    Me: Uh... sure. Why not. I'll ask the ones I know.
    Caller: Ah, really?! Man, that's great! Thank you so much!

Then I ended the call like any other. Funny the things that can make another person's day...
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

have you ever gotten my absolute favorite question (Yes, I really did get asked this.)

'How much do I gotta pay to get that free information?'

Comment

You laugh, but some less reputable places will actually make you pay shipping on your "free" information package. The information is free, but the postage isn't.
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
      X