This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Coming Through the Phone Line?

I had a customer come in today with their iPhone. They just wanted me to have a look at it because it was acting peculiarly.

So, I go through my normal routine. This is the insanity that followed.

BBC: Brain burped customer
    DD: Moi
    CW: Coworker

DD: Do you shut it off regularly?
    BBC: Of course.
    DD: How old is the phone?
    BBC: Only a couple of weeks.
    DD: Oh, okay. So what's the error?
    BBC: It keeps downloading stuff without me telling it to.
    DD: Oh, sure, that's just automatic updates. When there's a new update for your phone, it will automatically download that update from the internet. Would you like me to turn automatic updates off?
    BBC: ...No, that's not the problem. I just don't understand HOW it's doing that.
    DD: It's a factory setting. That's the way your phone arrives, with automatic updates on. It will use your included data, so if you don't want them, you should shut them off. I can do it for you now.
    BBC: But we don't HAVE internet at home!
    DD: ... I'm sorry?
    BBC: We don't have internet at home, I don't understand how it's getting internet.
    DD: How the phone is getting internet?
    BBC: YES! Is it through the phone line?
    DD: ... What phone line?
    BBC: Is the phone calling the internet?
    DD: ...Oh. No. The phone is picking up the internet wirelessly. Just like a wireless device.
    BBC: But I don't understand, where's the box?
    DD: Box?
    BBC: The internet box, we don't have internet, where is the box it's picking the internet up from?
    DD: ...Um. Coworker?
    CW: Yes?
    DD: This customer is having problems with his phone. I have to enter this paperwork, can you help him?
    CW: Sure!
    DD: *RUN FREAKING RUN*

Honestly, the internet box? He kept saying, "Where is the internet coming from?" I had to bite my phone so hard not to reply, "Let me ask you this: Where are your calls coming from?"

DD

OK, I can be pretty dumb about computers and I don't even own an iPhone, but I at least know enough not to ask a question like that! I wish you had asked her where she thought the calls were coming from....the expression on her face would have been priceless.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

New from Apple!

The iFoil™ hat!

Protect your iPhone™ from all that nasty radiation!
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

New from Apple!

The iFoil™ hat!

And some people will buy it.
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

And since it'd be an Apple product, they'd pay a couple hundred for it.
          My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

Your coworker must have terrible aim since you're still alive to have posted this.
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
              And since it'd be an Apple product, they'd pay a couple hundred for it.
              At the VERY least.
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Maybe the person is used to the iTouch which can only connect off of wireless internet nearby.
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

The Internet is a box?
                  Marvin: "Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to take you down to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction? 'Cos I don't."

Krispy Kreme puts the "ugh" back in "doughnuts".

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    New from Apple!

The iFoil™ hat!

Correction; The iFail™ hat!, A warning for others that you're an idiot. ^_^

(Not calling you an idiot, just people who need an iFail™ hat. ^_^)

Quoth TheComputerError View Post
                    I thought it was a series of tubes. ^_^
                    Last edited by alcaholjunkie; 07-13-2010, 02:33 PM.

Comment

smoke, mirrors, and elves. ^_^
                      I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Quoth alcaholjunkie View Post
                        Correction; The iFail™ hat!, A warning for others that you're an idiot. ^_^
                        Shouldn't that be iDiot?
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          Shouldn't that be iDiot?
                          BLASPHEMY! You omitted the holy symbol!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            BLASPHEMY! You omitted the holy symbol!
                            Oh dear! I gotta hide, I gotta hide!
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                            X