This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My husband and I: The SCs

I don't think we were quite sucky enough to go to the Sucky Customers or Sightings boards, but if someone thinks that we should have been, then I won't disagree. The only thing I can say is that we at least helped re-established someone's faith in humanity a little bit.

My husband and I went out to dinner to Freebirds World Burrito tonight. For those who have never been, it's basically a burrito/taco version of Subway (I think it's also similar to Chiptole, but I've never been to Chipotle so I can't compare.) We both got through the line, which took a good 15-20 minutes because the place was packed, but we weren't in any hurry, so no big deal.

Now, I should note here that I don't always bring my purse (which has my wallet in it) with me when we go out, especially if we're just going out for a quick meal. I don't like to bring it into restaurants in case it either gets forgotten or spilled on (both have happened, though fortunately nothing was lost the time I forgot it and nothing was badly damaged the time it got spilled on) and I don't like to bring it and leave it in the car for fear it might get stolen. So, in times like these where we're just grabbing dinner and going, I will leave my purse at home and my husband will pay.

So, we got to the end of the line and my husband realized he didn't have his wallet. Crap! He must have forgotten it at home, because it wasn't in the car, either. We asked the clerk if I could stay at the restaurant with the food while my husband ran home to get his wallet. We only live about 10 minutes away so it wouldn't take long. The clerk was very obviously hesitant at first, but he did agree. My husband went home, got his wallet, and we paid when he got back.

I felt really bad about the whole thing. Obviously I wish I had grabbed my purse at this point. As we were paying after my husband had come back, the clerk was falling over himself thanking us for coming back and paying. I would have been surprised, but having been on CS so long, that kind of thing doesn't surprise me anymore. He told us that they have had walk-offs before, and that he once lost over $30 in food due to someone running out without paying. So he was very glad that we did pay in the end. I assured him that we honestly were not trying to scam him, although I'm certain that that is exactly what he thought when my husband told him he didn't have his wallet.

I was mortified...I'm just glad the manager didn't come out to talk to us or call the cops or something. And, hopefully we did renew the clerk's faith in humanity a little bit by paying in the end.

I don't think y'all were sucky at all. You stayed there as a hostage, your sweety came back, y'all didn't make it the cashier's fault that y'all forgot your money, so it's all good.
    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

That doesn't sound sucky in the slightest. You made a mistake and fixed it without holding up the line. I have people do that in my drive. It just gets put off to the side, if you come back and pay, awesome. If not, it goes into waste. The ones who hold up the line arguing that they shouldnt pay because they don't have money are the SCs
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I don't think you were sucky. I would do the same thing, 'cept I'd probably let them hold my Hubby hostage while I fetch the money (and let them do whatever they wanted to do to him while I was gone ). I mean, what else can you do when that happens?
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
          I don't think we were quite sucky enough to go to the Sucky Customers or Sightings boards, but if someone thinks that we should have been, then I won't disagree. The only thing I can say is that we at least helped re-established someone's faith in humanity a little bit.

My husband and I went out to dinner to Freebirds World Burrito tonight. For those who have never been, it's basically a burrito/taco version of Subway (I think it's also similar to Chiptole, but I've never been to Chipotle so I can't compare.) We both got through the line, which took a good 15-20 minutes because the place was packed, but we weren't in any hurry, so no big deal.
          I've been to the Freebirds in Isla Vista, CA up in Santa Barbara a number of times and it's nothing like Chipotle. It might be the UCSB college atmosphere making it seem lower class with all the party drunks, but it's probably just that location since it's the original. The only thing remotely similar is the "conveyor belt" line concept in how they prepare the food. I know they're both classified as fast casual but it's probably just that location. Almost every Chipotle I've been to has a classier, cleaner atmosphere.

As for the rest of your post, I don't think you guys were sucky. It seemed like a coincidence that you both forgot your wallets, but at least the cashier gave you a chance to get your money.

Comment

I love Freebirds, but my husband disapproves of Cali-Mex or, really, anything cuisine from west of El Paso. :-( So we don't stop there often.

I think you can qualify this as a Brain Burp, but not really as an SC. Sucky would have been arguing that you should get the food for free, or refusing to allow the line to advance.... I can understand why the poor cashier was worried, with the number of SCs who are out there, though. But you didn't eat the food, and if you hadn't been able to get your wallets he would have had to throw it away (couldn't re-sell it to someone else); so really, as soon as you said you didn't have them, it wasn't much of a risk to wait for your husband to come back with the money.

Comment

Not even near SC style behavior. Next time, demand free food for your inconvenience of having to have him go get his billfold. Blame the staff for him forgetting his billfold. Whine about the wait. THEN you will be an SC
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post

<MR SNIPPY WAS HERE>

I was mortified...I'm just glad the manager didn't come out to talk to us or call the cops or something. And, hopefully we did renew the clerk's faith in humanity a little bit by paying in the end.

Nah, not sucky, it happens to us all! Embarrassing, true...

On a side note, I actually have a cat called Maggie!
                Last edited by iradney; 08-20-2010, 04:17 AM. Reason: no need to quote the entire post, we've already read it :)
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You didn't try to take the food without paying. Not sucky.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Not sucky at all. You stayed while husband went to get the money, and you didn't throw a fit.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                    X