This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Won't This Print?

So, one of my co-workers is over near the printer waiting for it to spit out the document he needs, and muttering "Why won't it print?" to himself.

After a couple of minutes I ask him if he broke it and he assures me he hasn't, but he can if I want.

So, he finally gives up waiting for it and goes back to his desk.

Then I hear him say, "It would help if I hit the Print button."

He asked me not to tell anyone. You guys won't rat me out, right?

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

I have done this.

Plus opened the fridge to look for the dinner I'd just microwaved, made "coffee" without putting grounds in...

This weekend I took some pictures on my phone and also had a friend take a picture of me with my phone. I uploaded them and the one of me was terribly blurry. I mentally berated myself for about an hour for taking such a crummy picture. Then the lightbulb came on--I was in the picture, standing across the hall from the photographer, who had been unfamiliar with my phone plus rather drunk. No, I hadn't taken a crummy pic at all.

Comment

God, I remember making both printing and coffeemaking mistakes. Printing without pushing the Print button is one thing, but trying to print, checking the wires to make sure they're connected and realizing that a printer won't print unless you actually turn the stupid thing on, on the other hand...

As far as the coffee thing goes, waking up to a nice pot of hot water is something my girlfriend likes to bring up every now and then. You screw up just once...
      My other car is a Mackinaw.

Comment

This reminds me of an Eddie Izzard sketch about computers. *goes to hunt for the link, because it is on YouTube*

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6C_HjWr3Nk Found it! (Warning: This video is NSFW due to language. If there are small children in the room, if you're easily offended, or if you're my parents, don't click that link)
        Last edited by firecat88; 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth Sarcastica View Post
          made "coffee" without putting grounds in...
          The other morning *yawn* I did remember filter, I did remember grounds, I just put them in the wrong order . At least it did wake me up.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
            The other morning *yawn* I did remember filter, I did remember grounds, I just put them in the wrong order . At least it did wake me up.
            One morning--I clearly needed the coffee VERY badly--I made three coffee mistakes in a row. I wish I could remember the exact sequence, but it was something like this:

(1) Put in filter. Pour water in tank. Hit "brew." Make pot of hot water.

(2) Realize the product was not actually coffee. Add grounds to filter. Take pot of water, intending to pour same water back into the tank. Pour it into filter instead, resulting in large hot water spill.

(3) Put now-empty pot back in machine. Forget to put water in tank. Press "brew." Brew pot of air.

The fourth time I did successfully make coffee. Hallelujah!

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              Then I hear him say, "It would help if I hit the Print button."
              I've actually done this, too Although in my case it's forgetting to archive the Word document to the internal server before going to collect the printout.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

For me, if it's the printer not printing something, it's usually because the blasted thing's not turned on.

It happens at my house all the time, though, with the microwave, the dryer, the dishwasher, the oven...pretty much if it's anything that's got some form of an 'on' switch or button, someone in my family will spend several minutes trying to figure out why it's not working, only to realize that they've not deployed said button.
                "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

My 15-year-old cousin K, who is, by, far the ditziest girl I know, had this sort of incident at home. She attempted to use the blender, then pitched a fit about it being broken, not working. Her soon-to-be-step-mom walked over and...plugged it in! That's right! It just needed plugged in!!
                  "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Hence that ancient adage: When all else fails, check to see if it's plugged in.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                      This reminds me of an Eddie Izzard sketch about computers. *goes to hunt for the link, because it is on YouTube*

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6C_HjWr3Nk Found it! (Warning: This video is NSFW due to language. If there are small children in the room, if you're easily offended, or if you're my parents, don't click that link)
                      LOL! As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of this!

JEFF JEFFTY JEFF!

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        Also: "Start brain before engaging mouth."
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          That's rule #1 of troubleshooting hardware: Check the connections.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've got a "that's not how you make coffee" story, but in my defence I was around 8 years old at the time, and didn't (and still don't) drink coffee.

My mother had the kettle on to boil water for coffee. When it started whistling, I decided to be helpful, and did what she always did: take one of the glass jars from a certain place on the counter, put a heaping teaspoonful of the granular brown material from the jar into her mug, and pour in the water. What I didn't know was that there were TWO jars of brown granular material - and I had grabbed the jar of ground coffee, rather than the jar of instant.

Reminds me of a cartoon from one of my brother's model railroad magazines. A couple guys are standing around with mugs in hand, and one of them says to the other "I don't know what you did, but this is the worst coffee I ever tasted". In the foreground is a coffee can with the lid off and leaning against the side - and taped to the lid is a homemade sign "Ballast, dark brown".
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              That's rule #1 of troubleshooting hardware: Check the connections.

^-.-^
                              Rule #2 is "Try turning it off, then turning it back on"

I don't drink coffee, and seldom have the need to make any, but on occasion, I have made myself a cup of tea. I'll put a teabag in the cup, boil the water and add milk to the cup. Then realise I forgot the water...
                              Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                              X