• Show
Clear All

• He drives a thingy whatsit

This is a depressingly regular sort of conversation:

Me: What make is your truck?
    Customer: Chevy
    Me: And what model is it?
    Customer: EXT

I type that in. The computer system wants to put "Trailblazer EXT." I ask; the customer says it's not a Trailblazer. Again I ask what the model is.

Customer: Extended cab.
    Me: Sir, that's a style, not a model.
    Customer: It's a pickup.
    Me: Again, that's a style. I need the model so people can find your ad online.
    (The site vendor needs this for the search function. We go around and around and around....) Finally he says "Silverado 1500."

Was that really so hard? How do you not know what you're driving?

This happens several times a week. Only the details of make & model vary. I've had people not know the make of the vehicle they've been driving for years. If you know nothing else about your own car, wouldn't you know that much??
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

see, i worked at car dealership, with 2 service bays - i got to where i asked what "brand" is the car.... it worked too...

I will admit to being mostly car-illiterate, but i make a great parrot - so that when i tell you that i drive a silver99olds. intrigue v-6 3.5 I know you know what i just said, but i don't....

but at least i can tell you that, even if i don't know what it means.
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

I have asked what brand sometimes. Anything to get the info out of them. I'm just amazed by how many people think " '07 green 4 door pickup" is a good description.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        I'm just amazed by how many people think " '07 green 4 door pickup" is a good description.
        Well there can't be THAT many companies that made green pickups in 2007 right???
        !
        "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

What is fun is when they give you a ford make and model and you go looking up Mazda parts for their car. Many peolpe do not know that the brand on the fender does not mean that the same is under the hood.
          "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

"What make,model,year?"
            "'04 Jeep WJ"
            "A what?"
            "Grand Cherokee"
            "Oh,what's a WJ?"
            "99-04 Grand"
            "Is that like a CJ?"
            *major facepalm*

all Jeep models since 1947 have a 2-letter designation,i.e. CJ,YJ,XJ,etc...but to confuse a Grand Cherokee with a 1973-86 model.....sheesh
            "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Was that really so hard? How do you not know what you're driving?
              It could be that they're borrowing the car, or they're doing someone a favor. There were times that I'd have my father take my car in for service while I was at work. At the time, I had a dark blue, '00 Mazda Protege ES. With the five-speed, it was a sports car in sedan clothing. Zoom zoom zoom

He had the entire summer off, so we'd switch cars. I'm sure he drove the service people nuts, since other than it being a blue Mazda Protege...he had no idea what engine was in it. At the time, only the ES came with alloy rims and a 1.8 liter engine (the lesser DX and LX used a 1.6). I'd get calls at work, and he'd put the mechanic on the phone with me
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                It could be that they're borrowing the car, or they're doing someone a favor. There were times that I'd have my father take my car in for service while I was at work. At the time, I had a dark blue, '00 Mazda Protege ES. With the five-speed, it was a sports car in sedan clothing. Zoom zoom zoom

He had the entire summer off, so we'd switch cars. I'm sure he drove the service people nuts, since other than it being a blue Mazda Protege...he had no idea what engine was in it. At the time, only the ES came with alloy rims and a 1.8 liter engine (the lesser DX and LX used a 1.6). I'd get calls at work, and he'd put the mechanic on the phone with me
                Yeah, I can see that, if they're bringing a car in for service. Not so much when selling it; we do have some people placing ads for their mom's car or whatever.

One lady I worked with was married to a car salesman. He would bring different cars home that they had taken in trade, and she would drive all kinds of different cars in to work. Sometimes she had to think about it for a while, to remember what she'd driven in that morning!

Comment

My husband thinks that his Olds Intrigue is a Chrysler! "No honey, It's a GM..." Cue deer in headlights look... "It's a Chevy, darling" I think that he gets the C in Chevrolet mixed up with the C in Chrysler lol. He's a gamer - cars are only used as a means of transport to get to the game store.... I loves my hubby!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X