This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backtrack

So, I have two paper routes. I get the papers for the first one at one dropsite. When I finish the first one, I drive to the next dropsite to pick up papers for the second. I then have to drive back along the same route, then just before I reach my last customer on my first route, I turn off to head to my second delivery area.

This morning, I was one paper short on my first route, so I skipped my last customer, and bought a paper from the box at the second dropsite. As I mentioned, the last customer is pretty much right at my turn-off to start my next route, so I didn't feel too bad about going back to him since it wouldn't be out of my way. (On the other hand, if I am short a paper on my second route, I have to drive about five minutes to the closest box and back...I usually can't call Dispatch because they don't open their phone lines until 4:30am when I'm often done and back asleep, so if I'm just short one or two papers I just buy them.)

I pull into their parking lot (it was a business address), drive around, and deliver the newspaper. Then I pulled out of of their driveway, turned onto the road...and my brain immediately flipped from "Go back and get the last customer on the way to next route" to "Last customer on first route ==> go to next dropsite for next route's papers." Nevermind the stack of newspapers on my dash right in front of me...I drove all the way back to the second dropsite, realized that duh, I already picked up those papers, and drove back to the address I just delivered to so I could turn off to get to my second route.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Working...
X