This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary Drive?

This is one of those times where I can safely say I actually enjoyed dealing with this particular customer, even if he did leave feeling like a bit of an idiot.

So this guy walks in with his girlfriend, comes up to our desk and says to me “I have a HP PC with a bit of a problem. You guys do PC repairs, yeah?”

“yeah, we repair computers. Whats up with it?” I ask, noticing the distinct lack of a computer in front of me.

“The bottom CD Drive won’t eject. I think it’s jammed”

Now, as standard, most computers don’t come with a secondary CD/DVD ROM but there’s no saying he hasn’t had one fitted “Okay. You got it with you?” I ask

“Yeah, it’s in the car. I’ll just go get it” off he heads

The girlfriend and I are standing there chatting. Nothing big, the weather, she’s noticed our new uniforms and likes them, She’s sure he’s gone and done something to break the computer but won’t admit it, the usual stuff really.

So Boyfriend comes back with the PC. I was not surprised to find that it wasn’t a HP but rather a Packard Bell. This seems to happen a lot. People confuse Hewlett Packard with Packard Bell and visa versa. Right pain in the arse when you are giving people instructions for doing system recoveries since HP and PB have 2 completely different instructions for the same process.

Anyway, I confirm and say “It’s the bottom drive that’s jammed, yeah?”

“Yeah. The door just won’t open and the button doesn’t feel right”

So okay I pull down the bottom front bezel. What I find does not surprise me, but rather amuses me. “I’ve found the fault. Quite a serious one too”

“Whats wrong?” He asks, peeking around

“You’re losing your mind. There’s no drive there.” I say with a smile

“Youre Ki--…what?!!” he asks with a smile. The girlfriend is already doubled over my counter with laughter

“No drive there. In fact, the blanking plate is still there. There’s NEVER been a second drive in this pc” now I’m starting to laugh too and girlfriend is on the damn floor laughing. Boyfriend is so embarrassed it’s funny even to him

Eventually, after we’ve all calmed down and everyone in the store is looking at us like we’re a bunch of loony toons, he asks how much it will cost to actually fit a secondary drive to the computer
    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Were several CD-ROMs in the bottom of the computer because he had pushed them through the gap between the plates?
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I probibly should have checked for that

But no. He did say a few times that he could have sworn he'd copied some dvds using 2 drives on that computer but that there was clearly no way he could have done.

Comment

Heh, there's a space on my PC for a second drive, but we've never had another one installed. It would be awesome to put a Blu-Ray in there tho (it's a custom-job model, as is my boyfriend's computer)
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Go for it

I've got 2 in my PC but they are DVDRWs not BDRW as they should be XD

Comment

Working...
          X