Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scam? Compliment? Or general brain burp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam? Compliment? Or general brain burp?

I make jewelry. I have two primary mediums: Chainmail, and polymer clay. With polymer clay, I make little charms and beads. Some of them are food related, like slices of cake/pie, cupcakes, sushi rolls, etc.

So tonight, I got an email from someone requesting for me to cater his birthday party. He wanted to know how much it would cost for me to make chicken salad and fruit salad for 150 people.

I was a little weirded out. While I am a damn fine cook, and am happy to make food for friends of mine, I've never actually sold food to the public, nor have I advertised this as part of my business. I'm pretty sure you have to have some kind of license to make food to sell, which I don't have. Plus, I'm a relatively small business. I don't have an Etsy shop, and I only have about 70 fans on FB, half of whom are friends of mine. I mostly vend at craft shows and anime conventions, so I'm not a big internet name. I'm really curious where he got my email address and the idea that I could cater a birthday party for him. The only thing I can think is that he saw my polymer clay food charms and thought they were real, or that I could also do the real thing. (people have said that my cake/sushi charms are very realistic looking, so if someone actually thought they were real and that I could make real food...that's kind of awesome.)

Actually, I'm sort of wondering if it was some kind of scam. But HE was offering to give ME his credit card number as soon as I gave him a quote for the cost of the food, and the email didn't contain any links or attachments. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and emailed him back, explaining that I don't cater and asking him if he'd mind telling me where he got my email address from.

I've gotten some WEIRD business offers. I think there are people who search for certain keywords, and then just jump on anybody associated with them without actually looking at what they sell. Or something.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Comment

it might be he was trying to spend the money quick, but damn. Stranger, over the internet? Don't you want a local shop??? Do you have a link to your said almost-tasty stuffs? I would like to gawk. Also, yes. You must have a license, especially if over a certain amount (in the USA).
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
      X