This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roman Numeral Fail

I'm not sure where this belongs. It's certainly a brain burp but happened at home. Play Station Store is finally back up so I went to download a few games. I really wanted Final Fantasy IX. I have one game highlighted and it was VII. I read it as VIII, so I moved the cursor over to the right one. Wasn't until after the purchase I see Squall and Rinoa on the cover. Damnit! This is my least favorite in the series!
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

*Gasp* 8 Rocked!

But then I didn't like 9. I hear people tended to like one or the other. 10 was another good one. I think 11 should have been called "FF Online." Why waste a number? 12 was ok. Not the best but enjoyable if you are in the mood. I was mainly disapointed with the world being the Tactics world and the checker board skill system. 13 was amazingly craptastic. They made it very pretty but everything from game play to leveling up was just a straight line. I gave it the college try but gave up. FF14 is online agian. They waisted another number.

Comment

I have a semi related one... in Princess and the Frog, when they pan up to the clock face from the Mardi Gras parade, the Roman numeral IIII is shown. No, seriously, they put in IIII as IV, and it got all the way through production before anyone caught it. Luckily, the clock that one is based on also has IIII instead of IV, so, no biggie...

Also: I was lukewarm about FF8, until the ending, which made me start scratching my head and going, "So, if they hadn't actively fought against her, she wouldn't have come to power?"
      I loved 9, particularly once I got to the ending and realized Zidane was the reason Madain Sari was a ghost village... on my tenth or so play through of the game...
      Last edited by Imogene; 06-18-2011, 04:26 AM. Reason: Adding more
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
        I have a semi related one... in Princess and the Frog, when they pan up to the clock face from the Mardi Gras parade, the Roman numeral IIII is shown. No, seriously, they put in IIII as IV, and it got all the way through production before anyone caught it. Luckily, the clock that one is based on also has IIII instead of IV, so, no biggie...
        That's the way Roman numerals are made on clock faces.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
          That's the way Roman numerals are made on clock faces.
          Interesting... I was just showing off how incredibly boring I am by having actually listened to the commentary on Princess and the Frog, but I do enjoy learning about ambiguous details... so, fun.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

In that case and if you didn't know The Straight Dope, I predict you will waste use a lot of time reading .

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
              Zidane was the reason Madain Sari was a ghost village...
              Really? I've played FFIX numerous times and I've never noticed that. Where is this shown?

I'm one of those rare people who love both FFVIII and FFIX (yes, we do exist! ). Of course, I play RPGs for the storyline mostly, rather than the game-play, and I think both games had excellent stories. As long as the story is awesome I'll play the game, even if the game-play itself kinda sucks.
              (And while I do love VIII, I admit that I hate the Junction system. It's such a pain in the ass).
              my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
              it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

I'm feeling a little behind the curve here. I only have FF for the NES and FFVII for the PC. Two more games I need to play someday.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
                  Really? I've played FFIX numerous times and I've never noticed that. Where is this shown?
                  The scene in Memoria, where Zidane looks down at Garnet and her mother getting in a boat, Garland pipes up, "But this isn't her memory, Zidane, it's your's."

Took me at least ten play throughs before I caught that line.
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I really haven't played any Final Fantasy-games, since to me most of them look so similar :P

I thoroughly enjoyed playing FFVI (III to you Yankees) though..and only tried out FFVII. Good times.

Comment

Quoth HermitIX View Post
                      *Gasp* 8 Rocked!

But then I didn't like 9. I hear people tended to like one or the other. 10 was another good one. I think 11 should have been called "FF Online." Why waste a number? 12 was ok. Not the best but enjoyable if you are in the mood. I was mainly disapointed with the world being the Tactics world and the checker board skill system. 13 was amazingly craptastic. They made it very pretty but everything from game play to leveling up was just a straight line. I gave it the college try but gave up. FF14 is online agian. They waisted another number.
                      FF8 was my favorite one. It was so groundbreaking what 12yrs ago now. It's one of my favorite games of all time.

Comment

Working...
                      X