This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intelligence does not equal Common Sense

So I run a theatre company, we are still starting out so for the time being not only do I run it, I live with the members.

One of the members is a very very intelligent guy, but as I have come to learn from working with him, this doesn't mean having any common sense.

I'm responsible for designing and making all our props and set, and I get the others to help out (to a certain point, only I get the power tools! ) This particular cast member has come out with some gems recently.

Me: Well this is going to take some elbow grease...
    NCS (no common sense): So we need to go to [hardware store]?
    Me: I went this morning
    NCS: But you said you need elbow grease...

I thought he was joking so I laughed. Then I explained. Then I laughed a lot more.

Part of the set had writing that was required to be crossed out. The company was going to use chalk but it was decided that was a bit too messy. NCS had this suggestion:

NCS: What about tape?
    Me: What kind of tape are you thinking?
    NCS: -shrugs-
    Me: Well the problem with tape is that it will pull the lettering off afterwards, I won't have time to repaint it every night
    NCS: And it does this every time?

Was biting my tongue not to say something sarcastic along the lines of "no every 7th time you do it it's fine, just not the others"

Woke him up the other morning to come and support a piece of hardboard I was cutting as my clamps were holding other parts of the set together. (It was like 11am not early!)

NCS: can't you just hold it yourself?
    Me: This piece of hardboard is nearly bigger than me! It will snap if I don't have someone holding it while i cut. It won't take long.
    -NCS comes downstairs in a dressing gown and bare feet-
    Me: You're gonna want to put some shoes on
    NCS: I'll be fine
    Me: There's sawdust everywhere
    NCS: It's fine (he's a grump when he's been woken up!)

So I get my jigsaw out cut this wood up and what happens? A large piece falls on his barefoot. I had no sympathy whatsoever. He's one of these people you can't argue with if he's set his mind to it, but I was feeling satisfied that he learnt a lesson. Luckily we weren't doing a show at the time he's got a bruise!
    My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

If there is one thing that should be so simple its beyond common sense its when the person who is holding a tool says "It would be a good idea if you do x" its probably best to listen to them.

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
      If there is one thing that should be so simple its beyond common sense its when the person who is holding a tool says "It would be a good idea if you do x" its probably best to listen to them.
      Well you would think that but he proves otherwise... I suspect there's something deep down that feels like I'm stepping on his manhood as I'm the only girl in the company, yet I do the majority of the physical work!

Comment

Oh... that's it. You're holding a tool and have boobs. As we all know around here that automatically negates anything you say

My dad worked in an upholstery shop for years so I learned early that someone telling you to do something and using tools typically knows what they are talking about, regardless of gender

Comment

Quoth Beki710 View Post
          So I run a theatre company, we are still starting out so for the time being not only do I run it, I live with the members.

One of the members is a very very intelligent guy, but as I have come to learn from working with him, this doesn't mean having any common sense.

I'm responsible for designing and making all our props and set, and I get the others to help out (to a certain point, only I get the power tools! ) This particular cast member has come out with some gems recently.

Me: Well this is going to take some elbow grease...
          NCS (no common sense): So we need to go to [hardware store]?
          Me: I went this morning
          NCS: But you said you need elbow grease...

I thought he was joking so I laughed. Then I explained. Then I laughed a lot more.
          Should have sent him to the store to get it. Plus some headlight fluid.
          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            It's next to the prop wash, right?

Actually, when speaking of theater, that takes on whole new laughs.

As for the letters and tape, I suspect that some form of thin bandage with pegs to hold the ends on would have worked.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

As for the letters and tape, I suspect that some form of thin bandage with pegs to hold the ends on would have worked.

^-.-^
              After all the fuss of the chalk being too messy... We went with chalk.

Comment

And a long weight.
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  In my first job, my co-workers sent me down to the supply room to get a can of taint. The guy in the supply room didn't get the joke either, and looked for it for some time, even checking the supply catalogs.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

While I was in polytech one of the other students found the chalkboard paint and turned part of the wall into what he deemed a "Richard Cranium" award. I was the last one to end up there. :] (Tutor: "That reminds me, we need to get you up there somehow..." Me: "Should I set fire to the scaffolding? " T: "NOOOOOOOO!!!")
                    Of course, the tutor next door was in on the game. I guess he took pity on me, cause my "Long Stand" only lasted a few seconds. Maybe cause I tried to get a ladder first. :P Hey, it makes sense, at least I know where to get a ladder.
                    One other poor student apparantly spent more than 10 minutes waiting for the other tutor to get a Big Weight for him. Time wasn't of the essence that day, clearly.
                    Of course, my favourite was the one who said "Pidgeon Hole" when asked for a type of scaffolding.

Now that I think about it... I never got to set fire to anything.

Comment

"skyhooks", "a tin of Tartan paint", "K-9 P" or my favourite one "a long stand" were all used in the R.A.F in the 80's.
                      The "long stand" was about 30 minutes for a particular "mothers' spehul son", until a passing Sgt. told him to stop messing about & get on with something productive!

Comment

grid squares
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Heh, all this talk of sending people out to get things that do not exist reminds me of a place I will call 'The Mill'. Every new person went through an initiation, by being sent to the supply room for a board stretcher. (the place made cabinets)

What nobody realized was that one of my brothers had worked there before me, and had clued me in. So when they sent me for a board stretcher, I went..and looked..and looked and looked. Somebody finally came up and said. "You know there is no such thing right?"

I just nodded and said "I figure if they are going to pay me to look for something that doesn't exist, that is on them..not me."
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                            I just nodded and said "I figure if they are going to pay me to look for something that doesn't exist, that is on them..not me."
                            Genius!

Comment

Quoth lineswine View Post
                              "skyhooks", "a tin of Tartan paint", "K-9 P" or my favourite one "a long stand" were all used in the R.A.F in the 80's.
                              The "long stand" was about 30 minutes for a particular "mothers' spehul son", until a passing Sgt. told him to stop messing about & get on with something productive!

I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                              X