This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many responses to pick one...

I had someone come in a couple days ago and ask if we sold tobacco. That's it. Not asking for a specific kind of tobacco...just tobacco.

I do not lie.

I have witnesses.

"We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

I work in a railway station; I've lost count of the number of times people have asked for "a ticket". I'm even starting to lose count of the number of people who ask for tickets to large geographical areas such as counties or countries instead of narrowing it down to at least a city!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I've lost count of the number of people who say "Yeah, I'd like to rent a room" then they wait. Ummm, yeah, we are a hotel company, thats what we sell. I need a little more information, don't make me pry it all out of you a tiny bit at a time by making me play 20 questions. What you should say is "I'd like to make a reservation checking in on *this date* and checking out on* this date in a *type of bed* with *number of people*.

Comment

The problem with that comes from not knowing which information you want first.

Of course, the dates should always be the first thing out, but most people just aren't that bright. >_<

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
          I had someone come in a couple days ago and ask if we sold tobacco.
          That cigar you sold me didn't draw and tasted like s**t!
          Sir, that was a tobacco suppository.

(True traditional method of indulging in nocotine)
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

i will not buy this tobacconist.... it is scratched!

Comment

My favorite (note the sarcasm) is when people call the pizza line at the c-store and ask...wait for it...."Can I order a pizza?" You all have no idea how badly I want to answer "No, sorry, we're only making sandwiches tonight!"
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I have customers ring all the time and tell me that our container is empty and ready to pick up...

Sir, we have over 100 40 foot containers at various locations around the city on any given day, the container number would be helpful, but not nearly as helpful as your company name so I know where to send the big truck.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
                  i will not buy this tobacconist.... it is scratched!
                  "If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    Yes. I've got to go kill another one.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                      My favorite (note the sarcasm) is when people call the pizza line at the c-store and ask...wait for it...."Can I order a pizza?"
                      Answer #1: Apparently not.

Answer #2: I don't know. Can you?

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      From the Bellamy Brothers, If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I've lost count of the number of times I've had people call in, giving me their life story, and asking if a certain pocedure is covered. Given that we handle several million members across 4 large states, I really need to know who they are, before I can tell them what their benefit is.
                        That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                          I've lost count of the number of people who say "Yeah, I'd like to rent a room" then they wait. Ummm, yeah, we are a hotel company, thats what we sell. I need a little more information, don't make me pry it all out of you a tiny bit at a time by making me play 20 questions. What you should say is "I'd like to make a reservation checking in on *this date* and checking out on* this date in a *type of bed* with *number of people*.
                          OK, time to 'fess up ... that's me. I usually open the conversation with "Hi, I'd like to rent a room" ... although I know the dates and times, etc., so don't have to flounder around for them. I just figure it gives whoever's on the other end time to fire up the computer or whatever.
                          I know -- I do know -- that giving all the info at once like that doesn't have to sound rude (unless you use a snotty tone of voice), but to me it sounds too much like somebody barking orders. For no logical reason that I can come up with.
                          Just my 2 Knuts.

Comment

I figure the person on the other end of the line is filling out some sort of form, so I wait to be prompted for the next piece of information.

And there have been postings on here of SCs that give all the information at once, then get pissed off when they have to repeat it piecemeal so the clerk can write it all down correctly.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

During my breif time working the lumber section of a large home improvement store I recall several instances of approaching someone standing in the aisle, staring about.

"Can I help you find something?"

"Yeah, I'm looking for a piece of wood."

x.x

Comment

Working...
                              X