This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet meds

I work in a pharmacy and we fill Rxs for pets. Not things like Frontline, but for antibiotics and stuff like that. It never fails that someone will bring in a Rx for a "new" pet and we have to ask them to fill out the "new customer" form so we can enter the information in the computer. When I hand them the form, I always explain that the prescription is processed the same as it would be for a person and the information is necessary to generate the label as well as for legal purposes. I have YET to have someone NOT say "But it's just a dog/cat". I even had one guy say "it's just my dog, I don't need a label, just give me the pills, write down the directions, and I'll pay for them". I said "I'm sorry, sir, but we can't do that, we have to process it like any other prescription so we have a record of what was dispensed". Again, he says "But, it's just my dog". Again, I said "I understand, but the DEA requires that we keep a record of all medications that we dispense so we need to process it through the computer". Again, he says "But it's just a pet"...third time's a charm? Not for this guy...he FINALLY got it after the pharmacist came over and argued with him for a few minutes...I think the final count was 7 times he said "But it's just a pet/dog"

Hmmm.....I wonder where he got that scrip and if it was really for "his dog."
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

"But it's still a prescribed medication" - repeat as needed.

Comment

Hee; reminds me of buying needles at the pharmacy for my dog and having to explain what they were for since I wasn't diabetic (they had to be ordered, they were the smallest ones you could get. My poor diabetic pug needed a shot with his morning and evening meals)

Shame on those people; it's not 'just' an animal, it's therapy, an extension of your family, your best friend. No just about it!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          Hee; reminds me of buying needles at the pharmacy for my dog and having to explain what they were for since I wasn't diabetic (they had to be ordered, they were the smallest ones you could get. My poor diabetic pug needed a shot with his morning and evening meals)
          I had to give our dog alergy shots. The vet provided the needles along with the serum. Our vet provides all of the medicines we use for our pets. We've never had to get them from a pharmacy.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It doesn't matter who or what the medication is for. A controlled substance is still a controlled substance.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              It doesn't matter who or what the medication is for. A controlled substance is still a controlled substance.

^-.-^
              Not just schedule (controls) drugs, any legend drug requires an Rx. And by-and-large, pharmacists can't write in the US.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                I had to give our dog alergy shots. The vet provided the needles along with the serum. Our vet provides all of the medicines we use for our pets. We've never had to get them from a pharmacy.
                I think they actually recommended we get them from the pharmacy as it was cheaper, since we had to use so many of them. Both our dogs were diabetic, so that was 4 needles a day, every day, for the 3 and 5 years both lived afterwards...Wow, we went through 5,000 plus needles!
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  I think they actually recommended we get them from the pharmacy as it was cheaper, since we had to use so many of them. Both our dogs were diabetic, so that was 4 needles a day, every day, for the 3 and 5 years both lived afterwards...Wow, we went through 5,000 plus needles!
                  That's a lot of needles. I only had to use two each month.

Comment

People really are dense. Working in the animal world, you start to wonder how half of these people keep their pets alive with how clueless they are.

Newsflash guy, even if you get them at the vet's office, they have to document and label them
                    Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
                      Newsflash guy, even if you get them at the vet's office, they have to document and label them
                      Oh I knew that. The pet medicines have regular prescription labels on them. If only my health insurance would cover them.*

*I wonder if tilly101 has had customers wanting their pets covered under their insurance?
                      Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 10-21-2011, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        Not just schedule (controls) drugs, any legend drug requires an Rx. And by-and-large, pharmacists can't write in the US.
                        Very true.

A number of years ago, we had a few of our cats who had came down with an upper respiratory infection (which one of the kitties had brought home w/her from an overnight vet stay, IIRC) and we had to go to the drugstore to pick up Amoxicillin liquid (called in by our vet.)

Our pharmacist had the bottle labeled just as one would for any other prescription, except the patient name was for Pumpkin *Mom's lastname.* Vet did that b/c he couldn't recall which kitty had last visited him (which were Ebony and Half-Pint, who had both been in for spaying.) For some reason, he remembered Pumpkin (full name, Pumpkin DePoodles), who had been in recently to be neutered.

That for some reason gave me a giggle. Could you imagine a girl named Pumpkin?
                        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 10-25-2011, 12:36 AM.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                        X