This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical geography fail

About 15 years ago, I worked for a men's clothing store.

One day a man comes in to purchase some shorts.

He strikes up some small talk:

Him: "Yeah, I'm going hiking in the Andes."
    Me: "Oh, really?"
    H: "Yup. And I need some new shorts. It's going to be hot in the mountains, you know. It's closer to the sun!"
    Me: (on the inside: " -_-") "Oh....right."

Coincidentally, at exactly that same time I was taking a physical geography class in college. We had just gone over mountain climates. I decided to just nod and smile at the guy, though. He was nice..just...yeah.

Hm. That must mean it's really scorching in space.

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$?
      Hm. That must mean it's really scorching in space.
      This made me giggle. Yes, it was a evil giggle.
      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

When we go up to the mountains in the summer to go sledding, it's usually warm enough for shorts (last time we went, I wore pants, 'cause snow=cold, and I regretted it. I was baking in those jeans!). But the Andes...yeah, I think it would get pretty chilly up there!
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

It's cold outsde, there's no kind of atmosphere
          We're all alone - more or less
          Let me fly far away from here...

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
            It's cold outsde, there's no kind of atmosphere
            We're all alone - more or less
            Let me fly far away from here...
            Thanks to Hubs, I actually get that reference...
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

goldfish shoals nibbling at my toes
              fun fun fun in the sun sun sun
              fun fun fun in the sun sun sun
              "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                When we go up to the mountains in the summer to go sledding, it's usually warm enough for shorts
                Even so, for reasons other than "it's closer to the sun."

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                  Even so, for reasons other than "it's closer to the sun."
                  Yes, I believe Death Valley is the lowest, and hence farthest from the sun, point in the U.S. Not always the coldest though....

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    Yes, I believe Death Valley is the lowest, and hence farthest from the sun, point in the U.S. Not always the coldest though....
                    I SO wish I'd been old enough to have a camera (my parents almost never took photos) the time we had a snow ball fight in Death Valley. Most people think I'm crazy, but it does get cold in the winter, and even snows now and then.

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

The highest point of solid ground that I've stood on was in New Mexico. Most of you probably know that 90% of New Mexico is semidesert or worse - point is, the ground is almost bone dry all year. Not at 10k feet though - there's a ski slope on the back of that mountain!

Comment

Does he not know that the earth is *farther* from the sun during the summer?

(* Northern hemisphere, that is.)
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                          I SO wish I'd been old enough to have a camera (my parents almost never took photos) the time we had a snow ball fight in Death Valley. Most people think I'm crazy, but it does get cold in the winter, and even snows now and then.
                          While on a trip, Mrs IA and a friend decided to go up a very tall mountain. She got cold and bought a ski jacket at a ski lodge near the top. The mountain is in Hawaii.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Overheard from elderly regulars: "No, no, silly...all the polar bears and things live at the North Pole, where it's cold! The South Pole is HOT!"

Comment

Working...
                            X