Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've spent most of yesterday & today dealing with a lovely guy named Jody poor thing, I have to tell anyone dealing with him (by name) that he's male
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

The lady named Rose didn't seem to have a problem with it, but the guy named Rose...? If he is that embarrassed about his name, I wonder why he doesn't either have it changed or just have a middle name listed on his card? (e.g.: if his name is Rose Daniel Smith, have the name printed as R. Daniel Smith).

Then again, there's always the nickname route -- My Dad's name was Arlen Jude (mylastname). Most people who had known him (aside from relatives) since he was a child were unaware of this, as he went by Billy. Nobody seems to know where the nick came from, and he even occasionally got mail addressed to William Jude (mylastname) >_>
      Last edited by EricKei; 12-08-2011, 01:21 PM. Reason: typos and extra info
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Beki710 View Post
        You're only doing your job and far better to be safe than sorry! I get names mixed up all the time. I hate ones that can be used for both genders like Ashley. Yes normally spelt like that it's for a guy but you do get female ones spelt that way. Definitely made mistakes like that when contacting customers and my heads not totally in the right place!
        Yep, I have a neice that's an Ashley.

Had a male relative who's name was Leslie, he always insisted for a girl it should be pronounced Les - lee, and for a boy, Lez - lee (and in a lower toned voice, too )

Also had a female relative named Carol, who had a classmate (male) with the same name.

Some people have less-than-ordinary names, no way you can know that. Anyone who get upset should be ignored, just like those who act offended when you don't know how to pronounce their one-of-kind name (first or last).

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

My parents had a female landlord for quite a few years. Her name consisted of 3 male first names. Not her real name, but in the same vein: William Michael Allen

Comment

My ex's son is named Kelly. I love the name, but he got all sorts of grief about it. That's not all that uncommon for a boy, is it?
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
              My ex's son is named Kelly. I love the name, but he got all sorts of grief about it. That's not all that uncommon for a boy, is it?
              Went to 4th-6th grade with a male Kelly (1960-1963).

But then everyone was asking me "How's Roy?"
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My mom's first boyfriend's name was Kelly. I went to school with a boy named Loren, said like Lauren. Also had a class in middle school with a boy whose first name was Christie, and his middle name was Taylor.
                "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Working...
                X