This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the pool open?

Not really sucky. He didn't throw a fit about it.

Bit of background: we have an outdoor pool. It's only supposed to be open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, though I managed to finangle it so it's open April thru October. Right now, it's the midst of December. We're below freezing at night, and barely above freezing during the day, and while the pool is heated when it's open, not many people would want to swim in it this time of year. I most certainly would be, but I'm really weird. No sane person would want to swim in it, let's put it that way.

So I check in a guest. He steps out of the lobby for a second, looks right at at the covered pool and darkened pool deck, and the pool furniture stacked away and tucked under a series of tarps, and asks me, "If my kids swim in the pool, do you have towels out there, or do we come to you for them?"

I had to break it to him the pool was closed and was only seasonal. He looked disappointed, but didn't argue.

And yes, our website very clearly states it's a seasonal pool, citing the *official* Memorial Day thru Labor Day dates.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Wow, sounds like a guy we had in here last month. Comes up to the desk and asks if the pool is open. Of course, I think he's joking so I laugh a little and say no. "Well, why not?"

Really? Lets see, you are in the mountians of North Carolina. It is November. It's currently 35 degrees outside. NO, the outdoor pool is not open.
    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. ~ Robert Heinlein

Comment

...why would anyone want to swim outside in just about winter weather in the northern US? Wow.

Comment

Lol. My dad only swam in the ocean. Between Midnight and 1 Am. Between December 20 and Feb 20. Nekkid. He always looked really carefully first to ensure no one was around and he wouldn't be exposing himself, esp to kids.
        One night he was walking back and passed a police car. The officer rolled down the window and said 'How was the water tonight Mr. C***?" Dad hadn't realized the cops kept a distant watch once they realized he wasn't up to anything 'nasty' to ensure he was okay. And they had checked him out enough to know his name.

Edit: Forgot to mention. We lived in Massachusetts. The water was wicked cold!
        Last edited by Teskeria; 12-10-2011, 03:29 AM. Reason: forgot to mention

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
          ...why would anyone want to swim outside in just about winter weather in the northern US? Wow.
          Depends on the pool. Hot tubs are awesome in winter.

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
            Members of Polar Bear Clubs that like ice swimming. Locally a group likes to go swimming in the Chesapeake Bay in January.

But don't look for me to be there. I'll be inside where it's warm.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I love the hot tubs in winter. I've made it halfway into the cold water before chickening out and throwing myself into the hot tub, but it's awesome lol.

At least he didn't complaint XD.

Comment

There's a tradition that the scientists in the Australian Antarctic stations (and possibly those of other countries) go swimming.

It's a token swim, but they get in their togs (swimsuits) and go for a swim. And all huddle together for a group photograph. And as soon as the photographer gives the okay, they RUN for shelter to warm up!

My wife's father studied meteorology just so he'd qualify as a scientist for the Antarctic stations. Spent half a year there.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth jjc927 View Post
                  Ummm, North Carolina is not Northern US. It's actually a southern state.

Comment

Hot tubs in the snow at night are one of the best experiences. Regular pools? Not so much.
                    "I'm starting to see a pattern in the men I date" - Miss Piggy, Muppet Treasure Island

I'm writing!! Check out the blog.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                      Yeah, except I don't live in NC. Though I was born there. Sorry, try again. (I think Carina was referring to her own motel or one she's stayed at.)

Like I said, if it was open, I'd still swim in it. I haven't convinced Boss Man to let us keep it open year-round.

What I want to get is what I saw at another motel once. They had this ginormous tent-canopy over their pool deck, with removable panels around the sides, so when it was cold you have the wall panels up to keep the warmth in, and when it's nice out you can roll the panels back and have it be open. I thought it was a genius idea.
                      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        There's a tradition that the scientists in the Australian Antarctic stations (and possibly those of other countries) go swimming.

It's a token swim, but they get in their togs (swimsuits) and go for a swim. And all huddle together for a group photograph. And as soon as the photographer gives the okay, they RUN for shelter to warm up!

My wife's father studied meteorology just so he'd qualify as a scientist for the Antarctic stations. Spent half a year there.
                        When I was at Primary School, the principal's brother was at Antarctica at the time, so he sent us a slideshow. One of them was of one of the guys, in his budgie smugglers, going for a dip in a little pool
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Yes, the pool really is open. Just fill out this waiver and you can be this week's dry Pool Diving Champion!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Years ago, a health club near Baltimore had a heated pool that was half indoors and half outdoors. In January, Mrs. IA visited there one evening and decided to go for a swim. After she dove into the pool, she found out why no one else was swimming. The heater was broken, and the water was frigid! I will not quote what she screamed.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Carina16 View Post
                              Wow, sounds like a guy we had in here last month. Comes up to the desk and asks if the pool is open. Of course, I think he's joking so I laugh a little and say no. "Well, why not?"

Really? Lets see, you are in the mountians of North Carolina. It is November. It's currently 35 degrees outside. NO, the outdoor pool is not open.
                              Around here, when it's 35 degrees outside, the outdoor pools would DEFINITELY be open (unless Jesse James' killer decides that they're "gravy").

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                              It's not even "shallow south" - there's a complete "grey state" (Virginia) buffering it from Yankeeland.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X