This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef patty or kinish, which is it?

A man comes up to me asking if we have any Jamican beef patties. I said we have them in packs of 2 in the deli and we have frozen ones in the frozen aisle. He asks where they are in the deli, and I tell him. He thinks I'm talking about potato kinishes and says he means beef patties not kanishes. I literally had to do everything but walk him over to where they are at the deli to get him to understand where they are. Then he complains that he'd have to microwave them and they'd come out mushy instead of crispy like frozen ones do (I've never had the ones in the deli and it's been a while since I've had frozen ones, but how much difference could there be?) So finally he walks away to buy them. A few minutes later, he comes back with...

A box of potato kinishes. Um... isn't that what you didn't want?

What is a kinish/knish anyway?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

A knish is a dumpling covered with a dough shell that is either baked or fried. In the most traditional version, the dumpling is made entirely of mashed potato. They are DELICIOUS!!!!
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
        ... the dumpling is made entirely of mashed potato...
        I imagine them under their acres, out in Idaho or up in Maine
        Wondering if they'll grow up to be bakers, or knishes or latkes or plain
        --- Cheryl Wheeler "Potato"
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

A knish is a dumpling covered with a dough shell that is either baked or fried. In the most traditional version, the dumpling is made entirely of mashed potato. They are DELICIOUS!!!!
          So it's basically a deep-fried French fry sandwich?

ETA: a bit of Googling tells me that the reason why I've never heard of them is because they don't exist in Australia. And yes I am aware of what a latke is.
          Last edited by fireheart; 01-02-2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

The only thing Idaho potatoes want is to get out of the state.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Yes, they are, and I am totally craving one now.
              Quoth Kristev View Post
              The only thing Idaho potatoes want is to get out of the state.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Somebody got away from their keeper. How on this green earth do you confuse a beef patty with a knish?

Now I want to go make knishes....

Quoth fireheart View Post
                ETA: a bit of Googling tells me that the reason why I've never heard of them is because they don't exist in Australia. And yes I am aware of what a latke is.
                You poor, deprived child.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post

You poor, deprived child.
                  Try a pie floater

ETA: I might explain this because it sounds NSFW. I assure you it is a dish. It's a South Aussie dish. It's basically a meat pie dunked in pea soup.

Comment

Try a pie floater

ETA: I might explain this because it sounds NSFW. I assure you it is a dish. It's a South Aussie dish. It's basically a meat pie dunked in pea soup.
                    Ooh, that sounds good! I might be doing that this weekend. The weather is taking a downward turn and I was planning on making split pea soup!

Comment

It's basically a meat pie dunked in pea soup.
                      I'm very glad I could read that rather than hear it said.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        Ooh, that sounds good! I might be doing that this weekend. The weather is taking a downward turn and I was planning on making split pea soup!
                        The idea is that you get a small meat pie (like one you'd find in a bakery or similar), then dunk it upside down in the soup, followed by adding tomato sauce on top

Comment

The idea is that you get a small meat pie (like one you'd find in a bakery or similar), then dunk it upside down in the soup, followed by adding tomato sauce on top
                          Oh, that sounds so, so good! Now I'm hungry!
                          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

make sure it has a pie crust all the way around and don't dunk a pot pie into it

ETA: Dalesys, funny you should mention that. A few years ago, SA Lotteries ran an ad campaign which had two guys dressed up in leiderhosen doing some sort of German dance and whipping tomato sauce at one another, while some guy played traditional german music. The caption at the bottom was "Fritz and Sauce".

Also, here's what a pie floater looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_floater
                            Last edited by fireheart; 01-04-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I wish I could find them here. If I want a meat pie here, I have to make them. Or order them online and pay through the butt on shipping.

It would be like me trying to find a chile relleno in Adelaide (right?).

The only time you see meat pies here is at the Highland Games and those are only once a year for two days.

Which means I'm making meat pies this weekend!

Comment

Working...
                              X