This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two silly comments

"Little bit too dark on the orange in my opinion," -said in regard to a plush I just finished.

Gee, I must have forgotten to visit the Imaginary Warehouse of Infinite Shades Of All Cartoon Character Colors where I could pick out the *exact* color that matches this character's art! Oh no wait, I didn't forget, I can't visit it because it's imaginary. I get three choices for orange, dark burnt orange, very yellow saffron orange, and bright crayola orange. Them's the options. So yes it is indeed a "little bit too dark" but there is literally NOTHING that can be done about this.

"How do you get the pattern so big?" -about the same plush.

I took a pencil! And a big sheet of paper! And I drew it that big! (Later comments revealed that they thought I must draw my patterns digitally and were trying to ask how I printed it out. Nope! All analog here, no digital art at all.)

Neither of these were sucky, but they both made me kind of shake my head.

Actually this plush has garnered a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay lower percentage of idiotic comments than usual. Though that's probably mostly because I've decided to swear off ever reading any comment ever on ponibooru. Sometimes I think it's worse than youtube for bringing out the stupid remarks.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Quoth spark View Post
    I get three choices for orange, dark burnt orange, very yellow saffron orange, and bright crayola orange. Them's the options.
    I don't know what kind of material you use but have you tried getting white and dying it yourself with acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium? I had to do an outfit for someone once and they wanted fur around the legs of the pants and a fur vest but they wanted it to match a certain part of the fabric I used for the rest of the outfit. I could not find it in that color unless I ordered it and it would have taken too long to get here. I use the paint mix to dye the nylon organza and the superstretch I use so I tested it on the fur and it worked great. I just mix whatever color of apple barrel paint I want, an equal or maybe a little less of fabric medium, put it all in a water bottle (or 2 liter bottle according to how much I have to dye and how much paint I need) add some water to make it thinner like soup, shake until all the clumps are worked out. Then I put what I am dying into a plastic container and pour the mix over it. I make sure and work the paint into it evenly then take it out and lay it on a towel and blot it to make sure there is not any extra paint on it to make it uneven. Then I let it air dry and if it is something that will be washed I heat set it.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 03-01-2012, 10:53 PM. Reason: please do not quote the entire post

Comment

Quoth pageantmama View Post
      I don't know what kind of material you use but have you tried getting white and dying it yourself with acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium?
      They're plushes. They're supposed to be super-soft and cuddleable. I buy minky, which is more expensive than the fleece a lot of people use, just for that very reason. An acrylic paint dye job makes things stiff and kind of crusty, and not soft at all.
      Last edited by Dave1982; 03-01-2012, 10:54 PM. Reason: please do not quote the entire post
      The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Quoth spark View Post
        They're plushes. They're supposed to be super-soft and cuddleable. I buy minky, which is more expensive than the fleece a lot of people use, just for that very reason. An acrylic paint dye job makes things stiff and kind of crusty, and not soft at all.
        Ah, gotcha For some reason I was thinking the fake fur stuff. I use the paint mixed with fabric medium to dye the fabric I use on pageant dresses and it comes out soft but it is nylon material. I think even with the medium added it would mess up the texture of the minky Oh well, I tried, lol.

Comment

People who don't work with fabric don't get that there is no unlimited supply from a magic factory. My mom used to sew for people and stopped because she got tired of impossible requests. I told her she really should post stories here.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I learned the lesson that material runs out and some projects must be abandoned by watching my mother attempt to make "Make-it" blankets.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth pageantmama View Post
              Ah, gotcha For some reason I was thinking the fake fur stuff. I use the paint mixed with fabric medium to dye the fabric I use on pageant dresses and it comes out soft but it is nylon material. I think even with the medium added it would mess up the texture of the minky Oh well, I tried, lol.
              Yeah, minky doesn't take any kind of dye well. Even spirit dyes that are basically sharpie still sometimes leaves minky less soft. And I prefer to not dye fur either, really.

I don't consider it a problem, the customer was totally happy with their plush, this was just some random person being a derp.

Comment

Working...
              X