This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Win!

Not sucky. Just amusing. At least, I find it amusing.

Every 100 purchases or so (I don't know the exact figure), you can "win" from the snack machine and get whatever item you selected for free. If you're a winner, after you put your money in and make your selection, the machine will do it's "happy beep", flash "WINNER", give you your item, and you will still have credit on the machine, allowing you to make another selection or push the coin return to get your money back.

The employees know this. Many of the guests, however, do not.

I will hear the machine do its "happy beep", followed by the "buh-wuh?" of a very confused guest. After a moment, they will come up to me, and something close to the following will occur.

Guest: "I think the machine is broken. I put money in. It beeped at me and gave me my food, but it says I still have money."
    Me: "That's because you won!"
    Guest: "Huh? It says I still have money."
    Me: "You won! Every 100 customers or so win, and you got that snack for free. You can get another one, or you can push the change return to get your money back."
    Guest: "...I won?" *slowly walks away*

Some even try to hand me back the "extra" snack, even after I tell them they won it for free.

They always have this confused, dubious reaction. Dude, you won something! Something went right in your life today! Karma has rewarded you for some reason! Don't stand there confused and upset. Be happy!

I don't know. The lost looks on their faces...I'm not sure whether to laugh at them or pity them at times.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

The snack machine at my old job used to do that. Granted, with several thousand employees in the building the odds of winning were pretty good since that machine did high turn over. It always made me happy dance!
    "Oh, the strawberries don't taste as they used to and the thighs of women have lost their clutch!"

Comment

Sounds like the opposite of a situation I've heard about.

Back when the price of a Coke went up to 6 cents, all the machines were hardwired for a nickel. The solution was to load "units" of 5 full and 1 empty, so everything averaged out. Turns out that with machines installed on college campuses, military bases, etc., there would be a bunch of guys loafing near the machine. Some greenhorn would come along to get a Coke, and by the time he realized what had happened, 5 of the loafers would have hit the machine to buy Cokes. They knew that an empty was the next one up, and were waiting for some sucker to get it.

I wonder why the authorities of the institution couldn't have insisted that the guy filling the machines carry a die (confiscated from a craps game, perhaps), and for every "unit" of 6 bottles, roll the die to determine where the empty would be. Wouldn't ever get more than 2 empties or 10 full in a row, but at least it would eliminate the certainty that "there's an empty due - let's wait for some sucker, then the next 5 are good ones".
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

IF they don't know about the mechanics of why they won then they could assume it's some kind of scam. Usually if you don't enter a contest & won something then 9 times out 10 it's somebody trying to get money from you in illegal ways.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Back when the price of a Coke went up to 6 cents, all the machines were hardwired for a nickel. The solution was to load "units" of 5 full and 1 empty, so everything averaged out. Turns out that with machines installed on college campuses, military bases, etc., there would be a bunch of guys loafing near the machine. Some greenhorn would come along to get a Coke, and by the time he realized what had happened, 5 of the loafers would have hit the machine to buy Cokes. They knew that an empty was the next one up, and were waiting for some sucker to get it.
          So they were counting on the guy that paid a nickle and got nothing to not complain about it? That was a very sucky way to do business, and, knowing how some businesses are, I have no doubts about it actually happening.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

That sounds like the pop machine at my old job. As far as I know, it didn't display winner or antyhing like that, but you could definitely win at the pop machine as it occasionally dispensed two sodas. And on very rare occasion it would dispense three.

Comment

Working...
            X