This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 24/7 question!

Today, I was out in the lot pushing carts into a line and about to move them into the store when this one customer lady approaches me with a question, and it became pretty bizarre after that.

C: You're open 24 hours a day, right?
    Me: Of course we are.
    C: And you're open 7 days a week?
    Me: Uh....yes, we are. 7 days a week every day.
    C: Does that mean you work 24 hours every day?

I was completely stunned!Does this lady even know how long people usually work at a job??? Working at a 24-hour store doesn't necessarily mean that I live there and happen to be on call the entire time! But instead of saying, "Are you NUTS???", I tried to explain it to her slowly in a way that she would understand.

Me: No, our store has three shifts. The morning people come in, then the afternoon-to-evening people come in to work, and then we have an overnight shift. I only work 8 hours a day(7-hour shifts half the time)and then I just stop working and go home.
    C: Okay. Thanks!

This lady was nice and all, but I had the feeling that she was a few cans short of a six-pack. Very bizarre!

I can actually remember seeing my first 24-hour store, and wondering the same thing. But then, I was about six years old at the time

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Well, at least she was polite about asking...?
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
        Well, at least she was polite about asking...?
        True, it seems like most people think store workers do live there and must be available 24/7.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

^ Word. They look angry when I clock out and walk away.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            ^ Word. They look angry when I clock out and walk away.
            I hear that! Even when you're trying to get your lunch, they identify you easily as an associate and still expect you to drop everything and help them even when you're not on the clock. But that's another story. Yeah, she was nice about it, but that was a new one for me. Considering the way I'm being scheduled this week, working late one day and then coming in early in the morning the next, why not just skip the idea of going home and bed down for the night at the store? It's funny when you think of it that way. It'd really save money on rent!

Comment

Working...
            X