This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Try to Joke with Me?

This thread http://customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=91951 reminded me of my own lack of humor brain burp.

I was at Habenero's and ordered, among other things, the potato skins without bacon.

When the server brought the food out, he set my plate down and said "Potato skins with extra, extra bacon!" I go all wide eyed and sad, because I've actually had that happen before in a different restaurant (why, why, WHY! do I love foods that have bacon on them?).

Now, the server is chuckling and my boyfriend and other friend caught onto the joke before me, but it still took a good looksee at the potato skins that I was satisfied that he really was joking. Oops!

I felt so horrible afterwards. I really do have a sense of humor. I guess my brain was functioning that day
    Last edited by WoodenSunshine; 08-16-2012, 08:00 PM. Reason: I can't HTML

*grins* I've had that happen before and after the shocked part it was fun to chuckle. I think those throwing jokes like that need to understand that the relief laughter will only come when they see it was just a joke.

Of course there will always be the ones who can't understand a joke no matter what or how it's explained.

Comment

I hate jokes like that. I don't find them funny. I don't like it when people will say "Oh, I guess you didn't like the food?" after you've eaten the entire plate.

It's like when you say, "I feel like people aren't listening to me" and some jokester says, "Huh? Huh?" Just not funny to me.

I understand how the joke works, but I don't like it.

Comment

Those kinda jokes I don't mind. Honestly, I used to make them myself all the time with one of the guys who worked the grill at the school cafe. He and pretty much everyone else there knew about my onion allergy, so whenever I ordered a quesadilla, he'd go "And you want that with extra onions, right?" and I'd laugh and say "Oh, of course." One joke you do not pull with me unless you're family is reaching over and taking my food from me.

My parents, some friends of ours, and I went to my favorite Italian restaurant for dinner about a month ago. My mom knows the manager pretty well, having taken classes at the restaurant to learn how to make her own pasta and stuff like panna cotta, so he's rather (sometimes overly) chummy with us.

Anyways, we'd finished dinner and had ordered dessert. The desserts come, the waiter sets mine down in front of me, and the manager, as a joke, starts taking my plate away. Joke or not, I was rather severely annoyed by this. I tried (and probably failed) not to let it show, though.

Thing is, though, if I'd been allowed to take a bite or two first, I probably would have been ok with said joke. Probably.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Oooh, I would not have been happy with anyone trying to take my dessert away! That may just be my love of sweets...

Comment

Quoth WoodenSunshine View Post
            Oooh, I would not have been happy with anyone trying to take my dessert away! That may just be my love of sweets...
            Well, there is that.

However, there's also the fact that I've taken a lot of crap in the past from my sister for so much as thinking about wanting dessert (and about food in general. We have legendary arguments about this. @_@).
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Working...
            X