This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't have my ID. Will this work?

Working at a gas station, I've heard and seen all kinds of things when it comes to checking ID. Cards cut into pieces, cards with holes punched in them, cards that look like they went through a garbage disposal, cards from a local halfway house, papers given by police after they confiscated an ID, etc. Today, though, a young man managed to top all of that by presenting a student ID card from the local high school. He seemed shocked when I told him I couldn't accept it.

I need some help understanding this one, because I am completely baffled. Even if a school ID was considered legal, state-issued identification, there isn't even a birthdate printed on these cards! Why would anyone think that proving you go to high school = proving you are 18 years old?

Because, even if you are in high school, you are smarter than the clerk, as EVERYONE knows that clerks are just drones :-D

/sarcasm

Comment

Well, my old school ID had my year of graduation printed on it, which would help (about half the seniors in my school were 18 during senior year.) However, I would NOT be using that ID for anything other than when it was required for discounts at certain stores in the town.

I had my drivers license at 16 and as soon as I did I kept it right on me.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

DOB was printed on ours for HS, tho it is no way considered a legal form of ID, lol.

People will try anything.

Comment

Had a lady come in today who couldn't find her store credit card and wanted me to print her a temp card.

VERY upset about the "no valid ID, no printy the card"

"But, but, I've shown you my debit card and given you a piece of scratch paper with my soc-sec-# written on it!!!"

and

"But I've lived in this neighborhood for Twenty Years!!!!"

wow.

Comment

That happened to me at the Drug Store From Hell. Young fellow wanted to buy beer, and when I asked for his ID, gave me his High School ID. I guess it happens more often than I thought. Still stupid, though.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I suspect we're going to have a lot more of this sort of bs at C-Store. We've gotten liquor in (yes, hard liquor, in a C-Store...because town I work in NEEDS to be more drunk) and so we've enacted a uniform "everyone gets ID'd every time" policy for alcohol & tobacco. Boss even put a note on the counter, written in huge letters on an 8x10 piece of paper, asking everyone to have ID's ready. Of course, most of them juts glance down, act as if they never saw the sign, and carry on. Sigh. I feel your pain, CC, I really do!
              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Well, a high school ID isn't really a government issue. I say this because it doesn't do anyone any good outside of the school. It gets you discounts on prom tickets...that's about it.

With that being said, I once had someone try and give me his costco card as ID. Psh, please.

Comment

Quoth AmandaLaederich View Post
                  It gets you discounts on prom tickets...that's about it.
                  Student IDs are great when you want to get student discounts on pretty much every single deal that stores, events, restaurants, transportation, etc., advertise.

That's literally the only reason why I ever miss being a student, lol!! That, and the SPC card

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
                    Student IDs are great when you want to get student discounts on pretty much every single deal that stores, events, restaurants, transportation, etc., advertise.

That's literally the only reason why I ever miss being a student, lol!! That, and the SPC card
                    Then you went to a different high school than I did. Ours got us a whole lot of nuthin. They still aren't government issued. Maybe you're thinking of college?

Comment

Quoth AmandaLaederich View Post
                      Then you went to a different high school than I did. Ours got us a whole lot of nuthin. They still aren't government issued. Maybe you're thinking of college?
                      Nope. High school and not government issued. Tons of places offer student discounts and it doesn't matter if you're HS or college/university. Just show your card and instant savings. It was awesome.

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post
                        Nope. High school and not government issued. Tons of places offer student discounts and it doesn't matter if you're HS or college/university. Just show your card and instant savings. It was awesome.
                        Yeah, some towns are definitely better than others about offering discounts to students, just as certain military towns I've lived in were better about offering discounts to military.

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Working...
                        X