This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe I did that

I had a job interview with Canada Post. It was the trifecta of bad jobs - Temporary Part-time On-Call, but still something worth pursuing because it still had decent pay and it's a foot in the door position.

Anyways, the interview was a behavoural situation question style. I nailed a couple of answers, then blew one regarding safety. The question was "will you deliver mail up a snowy staircase?" and I was supposed to answer "no, it's unsafe", but I gave the real world answer of "yes". I covered for myself saying how I would assess everything and make my decision based on that, along with an interview I just saw on the weekend where a mailman was laughingly talking about the difficulties he faces with snow covered stairways but her reaction made it clear that I didn't give the answer she was looking for.

That was bad, but I think I could still have a chance, then I get to the last question. She was talking about teamwork; the importance of teamwork, and I had to give an example of when I was working in a team and had a difficulty with a person, and how I handled it. I drew a blank here, the only thing that popped into my head was a time when I was working with a guy who didn't understand english. We were carrying something up the stairs and our inability to communicate, along with his general stupidity caused a lot of difficulties. It came to a head when I told him to stop and he continued on, almost knocking me over and pushing me down the stairs. I had to get rid of him and get someone else to work with. So in summary, here's the kind of team player I am, if someone gives me a hard time, I tell them to fuck off and get someone else.

As I started this story, my brain was shouting at me "no, not this one, it sucks"; at which point I had an argument going with my brain telling it to give me something better, but by this point it was too late, I was too far in. She was clearly unimpressed with me following this so I'm pretty sure I'm shit outa luck.

What really pisses me off is that just two days prior to this, I had an excellent story I could have used. It showed how I help others, diffuse situations, and keep the focus on the job at hand. But no, being the idiot that I am, that one didn't pop into my head, just the shitty one that I used.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

I do this. Or I tell the same story for several questions. I'm a bad interview, I think.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Actually the way you answered the snow covered staircase was kinda correct. If we have a way to get up safely and down safely then we are to deliver the mail. Such as their being handrails that we can hold onto.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
        Actually the way you answered the snow covered staircase was kinda correct. If we have a way to get up safely and down safely then we are to deliver the mail. Such as their being handrails that we can hold onto.
        The impression I got was that the answer was supposed to be "no". This isn't realistic in any way, I mean, a flake of snow and I won't deliver the mail?!? come on. I think it's one of those "this is what you say... and this is what you do".

I would have loved to have had more time to go over the infinite examples of unsafe practices that I've been forced to go through in the past year alone though.
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
          there are a LOT of carriers that won't attempt the stairs even if they are clearly shoveled and salted.
          The impression I got was that this is something that's drilled into their heads. When I passed along the story of the Montreal mailman going up the snowy staircases, the first thing she said was "I bet his supervisor would be very interested to hear that story", implying that this guy would be in deep shit for doing so.

I think it's just Canada Post's way of reeling in their worker's compensation claims. They have too many people off due to slip and falls so they put in policies so that nobody puts themselves in harms way.

Questions like this are really bullshit though. How am I supposed to know that I'm supposed to be treated like I'm a helpless child? I really need to learn that the answer to this question is "I'd have to rely on my training to find out the proper procedure and protocol to follow in such an event".

I mean, I'd love to see one of these people watch me on the job I had earlier this year where we had to push something across ice, snow and mud. Let them listen to the answer to our safety concerns of "stop fucking bitching, we need to get this done".

I know this is a shit job, but it's no worse than what I do now, and I'll readily leave it if things get out of hand. I can see that I'll be treated like garbage because throughout the whole process it's been a case of "We might allow you to do this work for us" as opposed to "We want you to come work with us".
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

Working...
          X