This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh yeah....we DO have an alarm!

First a little backstory to set the scene. At my store we have a separate room for deliveries, backstock, etc. You have to physically leave the store in order to access it. That room also contains the control panel for the alarm as well as the spare key for the store. When we first opened, I was given a copy of the "Master Key" since I was "senior staff" , which I put on my keyring. However, I don't carry a purse and don't like to carry around 50 keys I don't need, so I keep my car keys separate from the others and usually keep them locked in my car during the day. OK, so on to the story.....

It's Saturday morning, and I'm scheduled to open. Amazingly I get there 15 minutes before schedule and then I make the fatal mistake of grabbing my regular keyring as well as my car keys. Without even thinking about it, I unlock the door to the store and start doing the morning routine. I swipe in, open the safe, get the money for the tills, and start to prepare the deposit. I've been there for 10-15 minutes at this point. All of a sudden, I think "Oh s***, the alarm!" And sprint out to the backroom to shut it off. If I hadn't had the keys in my hand, I would have had to go into the backroom to get the spare and then I would have remembered to shut off the alarm.

That being done, I come back to the office and sit down again to do the deposit. 5 or 10 minutes later I am surrounded by almost $850 in cash (we're a little slow right now) and there's a cop in the doorway telling me " Your alarm is going off, and did you know the door is unlocked?" Yes, I had forgotten to lock the door behind me after my mad dash to shut off the alarm. Believe me, my face was red as I explained everything to the cop. Disconcertingly, he did not ask for any ID or proof that I actually belonged there. I realize most thieves probably won't take the time to count the cash and put it into neat little piles or be wearing my incredibly sexy and stunning cotton cardigan from LL Bean in the middle of July (our store is FREEZING), but still!! An ounce of prevention and all that.

And the best (worst) part of the whole escapade? Not only did ADT call my boss at home, to tell her about my dumb-assery, but since the cops showed up the company will be charged for a false alarm! Ooopsie......
Working...
X