This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small mistake, big issue

I'm working the front window, a job that I was never trained for (I think I do a good job). I get a phone call from the patient service center where they only do MRIs about a patient that's coming to our part of the hospital. She had a patent come to her that was scheduled for an ultrasound and an MIR. The ultrasound was first which meant she had to be registered at our area for both tests. The only problem was this was an elderly patient and forgot her orders.

I called the doctor's office and talked to a nurse, who was very nice. She had been on vacation when the test was ordered and the patient's file was in another building. I was able to look at the account we had and fortunately the ICD 9 codes and I gave them to her. She immediately faxed me the order and I thought it was ok, I was wrong. I had been dealing with soo many other issues I got confused and asked her to mark a CT and not a ultrasound (which was scheduled).

Normally the person who registers it would have caught it, but she didn't. The patient made it down to the CT department undetected. I get a phone call from a CT tech, who must have been in a fault mood to begin with. She asked me where on earth did I get that test or did I just decide to play doctor and ask someone to order it. She didn't even look to see that the patent was scheduled for an ultrasound. I told her it was a mistake and I had asked the nurse for the wrong test and I would take care of it. Then she told me that I shouldn’t be telling the nurse at the Dr's office what to order and how she would never do it... fu. That's normally how it's done and usually we're thankful just to have the Dr's offices cooperate with us.

Before I could call the nurse the tech had her on the phone and told me this: "The nurse is on the phone when I hang up and you need to tell her what codes to put on the order and what kind of ultrasound to do" And it's your fault this patient has to wait, you guys need to get your act together. She just finished telling not to do that (which she can't technically do). The nurse was completely sweet and a complete pleasure to deal with, I told her what the tech had said to me and she laughed and said that she was trying to tell her what she was supposed to do. She then told me that she snapped at her and put her in her place

The thing is that all the tech had to do was take a verbal over the phone, if she knew how to do her job she wouldn't have had to wait. True I made a mistake but it's not necessary to be rude or have gone through that process to get it fixed so technically it's her fault the patient had to wait. It's not like I make these mistakes all the time (or I'd be fired).

Of course if the patient brought the damn order none of this would have happened.

Sounds like the customer was very nice, sucky coworkers make the day go longer don't it.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Working...
    X