X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SNAFU that just keeps on giving!

Bleh.

I wrote previously on how I made a mistake concerning printing cheques. For those who didn't see it, basically this one client of ours provides pre-printed cheque stock (Numbered) in sequential order from lowest to highest. For our printing setup, we need the stock highest to lowest, so each day I have to take the stack of cheques we're going to print on and manually re-order them. Boring, mindless, but not a big deal, since this client only has 10-20 cheques per day.

Well, for a two week period in July, I forgot to re-order the cheques. So the cheques were loaded in the printer in the reverse order they needed to be. Cheque #20 printed on Cheque #1, etc. This of course is a logistics nightmare, because we have to balance our books, and these cheques will come back to be cleared, and what the number is on the cheque, and what our system says the number is won't match up. As it's my job to check the cheques after they print and make sure stuff like numbers match up to the logs, this is 100% my fault from start to finish. I realized I had been checking amounts, but not cheque numbers. D'oh!

So, I'm a complete monkey. I got written up (Along with two other much more minor problems which would have slid had this bombshell not dropped) and I made our company look bad in front of a VERY grouchy client.

NOW I discover that about half of the runs I DID re-order the cheques properly. 'Wait, that's a good thing!' You say?

NAY!

For now half of the fixes I put into the system for this SNAFU are now wrong, and will have to be undone, and we look even STUPIDER to our client, because not only were we wrong initially, our corrections were wrong too! And now I not only look like a monkey, I look like an inconsistent monkey.

I work with accountants. Inconsistency isn't a good trait in their books.

So, I'm worried that this might bring more badness on my head. I suppose I'll find out for sure when my manager gets back from vacation in a week or so. Nothing I can do now, but talk about a seemingly small thing going as wrong as physically possible!
    Check out my webcomic!

Quoth Polenicus View Post
    Nothing I can do now, but talk about a seemingly small thing going as wrong as physically possible!
    Ouch... yeah... just... ouch... talk about Murphy's Law in action.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

You work for accountants? I feel so sorry for you, see my father is one, and because of such I'm about as dull as a rusty spoon. They are so boring, it's not a stereotype, they are boring.
      It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
      ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Quoth Aldous View Post
        You work for accountants? I feel so sorry for you, see my father is one, and because of such I'm about as dull as a rusty spoon. They are so boring, it's not a stereotype, they are boring.
        Not all of us!!! I am an accountant now, since I officially got promoted. Just because some people like to play with numbers we all get stereotyped.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
          Not all of us!!! I am an accountant now, since I officially got promoted. Just because some people like to play with numbers we all get stereotyped.

J/K!

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
            You're an accountant now, my father was one since he graduated college, he's 60. 40 years of crunching numbers. He doesn't find Monty Python funny, he's never laughed in the 16 years I've known him. I like playing with numbers, but I'm not dull to other people for some reason. Guess I entertain somehow. I know not all of them are dull, just the ones I've met. Maybe there are a few ones that do stand-up in their off-time, but all the ones I've met (thousands, no joke) all of them are duller than the next. I've fallen asleep at parties, because of the sheer boredom. I mean I talk politics, but I don't think anyone is ever entertained by "So the dollar is worth XXX yen right now, and the Euro is blah blah blah." No one could ever like money and numbers that much.
            It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
            ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

I haven't finished my degree yet, but I am working on it. I have a feeling we are talking about different types of accounting as well, which could make a difference. My department has an average age of 32, on top of that we are dealing with run-off business for our company, so we get alot of long holidays and such. Most of the claims I deal with occured in the 70's and management has the feeling that if its waited 30 years it can wait another day. But maybe I am boring, because the day that the Canadian Dollar went higher than the US, it was all I talked about.
              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Yeah, different worlds. I'm talking the Suit/tie work for Smith,Smith, and Smith Accounting firm.
                ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
                X