Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, she was a bitch but I may have caused it (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, she was a bitch but I may have caused it (long)

Hello, this is my first thread, I've posted in a couiple of others, but this is my first actual thread...(I've also been a lurker)

I work in a supermarket for starters.

Anyway, if I have a crappy customer, I'll know from the start because I get a bad feeling. Lately I haven't been that great, I've been having mental health issues and just feeling really panicky and upset, where it's getting to the point of me wanting to quit outright (I'm finding a new job anyway) or getting transferred to another store owned by the same company (the company I'm part of owns the supermarket chain I work at, a department store chain and two chains of liquor stores).

Now moving onto customer issue:

Bitch arrives, I scan, she accuses me of THROWING her groceries down. All of us have been under pressure lately to increase and maintain our scanning rate to bring us in line with the company rate. I wasn't throwing her groceries down any harder than I have been recently. So I lighten up. But that's not good enough. She complains to service desk, but she did it behind my back. Now that's what really gets me. I don't care if they complain as long as they tell me about it and allow me to redeem myself. She doesn't. I started crying in the car on the way home

The thing is though, when I found out later, she told me to slow down (my manager). She's a wonderful person, I've worked with her before, so I knew it wasn't personal, but they really need to get the message clear to everyone, they can't have it both ways. We can either be fast and maybe make a few mistakes, or we can be slow and be perfect. What's the point of doing a job when you can't do it right?

Quoth Smart_Aussie12 View Post
    All of us have been under pressure lately to increase and maintain our scanning rate to bring us in line with the company rate.
    Is your rate scored by computer?

Comment

Wal-Mart has that IPH (Items Per Hour) nonsense. You're expected to be lightning quick BUT more than once I used to be bitched at for going too fast by the customers BUT if you slow down then management complains that you're not meeting your IPH. Can't win either way & they wonder why there's such a high turnover rate of cashiers.

Comment

Quoth Applerod View Post
        Is your rate scored by computer?
        Yes it is, then the average is calculated from over the week and then THOSE averages are used to work out the store average. We've been told that we're the slowest, but we have a lot of staff as well...more than some of the smaller stores, so I think that the company rates are playing into the hands of the smaller stores, while the big stores are under the pressure.

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        Wal-Mart has that IPH (Items Per Hour) nonsense. You're expected to be lightning quick BUT more than once I used to be bitched at for going too fast by the customers BUT if you slow down then management complains that you're not meeting your IPH. Can't win either way & they wonder why there's such a high turnover rate of cashiers.
        Ours are per minute, but I think that's because I work for a supermarket and not a hypermarket like Wal-Mart (and yes I have watched that South Park episode). Back at my old job, our rate was per hour and it wasn't that bad. Now they've got a chart up that shows the fastest and lowest rates (not who though) and a graph that shows the rate over a certain period of time. They claim "customers first" (which is the case with all stores as far as I know), but what do they want to provide: great service or quick service?

And I want to get off the floor if I can a bit more often, but there's no spots in cash office and most other departments are out due to hayfever or shoulder problems.

Comment

Quoth Smart_Aussie12 View Post
          great service or quick service?
          This often seems to be the central challenge in jobs which require you to interact (or transact) with large numbers of the general public in the most efficient way possible. Having to sacrifice quality for speed and vice versa can drive many people to madness.
          My previous job at Target introduced me to the phenomenon of machines taking precedence over people in assessing the collective "efficiency" of a store. Computers are great at crunching numbers -- but completely unsuitable in accounting for human behavior. Individually, cashiers would receive either a RED or GREEN after each transaction according to its duration, as well as a running RED or GREEN "score". That's lovely if everyone is a robot, but occasionally one feels human emotions that precipitate behavior which carries one past X number of seconds and--RED. I remember during one of our many painful staff meetings listening to the poor second assistant manager desperately attempting to explain how the store was at "2.4" and we needed to be at "2.6" -- the number being a factor of little more than the speed of the cashiers and the response time of the sales floor staff to those infernal call buttons customers press for help which triggers a creepy, oddly soothing female computer voice telling you: "Call Button, second request: 15 seconds," followed (if not answered in time) by: "Call Button, third request: Service limit exceeded," followed immediately by a red mark counted against the store. Tremendously dehumanizing.
          Personally I've found the only way to overcome or make significant progress with the speed vs. quality dilemma is to stay at your job long enough to get very good at it. Once you get to a point where you know you're working as efficiently (and sanely) as possible, you can relax a bit. I've been working as a cashier at a high-end grocery store for about 6 weeks now and I'm still improving my technique. One of the toughest things is constantly vacillating between customers who want out as quickly as possible and don't mind how careless you are in bagging, and those who are inclined to take offense at things like a jar of pasta sauce on top of their bread.

Comment

Quoth Applerod View Post
            This often seems to be the central challenge in jobs which require you to interact (or transact) with large numbers of the general public in the most efficient way possible. Having to sacrifice quality for speed and vice versa can drive many people to madness.
            (cut for length)
            Personally I've found the only way to overcome or make significant progress with the speed vs. quality dilemma is to stay at your job long enough to get very good at it. Once you get to a point where you know you're working as efficiently (and sanely) as possible, you can relax a bit. I've been working as a cashier at a high-end grocery store for about 6 weeks now and I'm still improving my technique. One of the toughest things is constantly vacillating between customers who want out as quickly as possible and don't mind how careless you are in bagging, and those who are inclined to take offense at things like a jar of pasta sauce on top of their bread.
            We didn't get the pressure that much when my former manager was still working with us and we haven't had it since my current manager went on leave for three weeks. If we were running slow, they'd usually pull us aside and just give us HELPFUL advice on how to speed up our scanning rates and also on how to pack bags and avoid customer complaints. Ever since old manager left though, this is what has happened:

1) EVERYONE'S scanning rates have been posted up on the noticeboard at least once (this stopped when I complained to the union and was told that it was in breach of union regulations. It is also extremely unethical)
            2) We now have a chart that states the lowest and highest scanning rates as well as our average rate for the week as well as a graph that charts our average rate (store) over time. (I still think this is in breach of regulations, but I have no clue)
            3) My scanning rate is all over the place since I am trying to prove that I am doing a good job and still maintain that speed. I am good with packing bags, it's trying to do them quickly that's an issue.
            4) People need to learn not to be so pretentious about their groceries (I wouldn't have been fuming if it WAS something breakable, but it was DELI MEATS AND FROZEN PEAS!!!! I MEAN WTF!!!)

Comment

I don't understand the need for company's to use Ringtimes.
              I just don't.

I hope you feel better btw...

Comment

Quoth clod75 View Post
                I don't understand the need for company's to use Ringtimes.
                I just don't.

I hope you feel better btw...
                Yes I do, thank you. Since that, I've had counselling sessions and have spoken to my doctor. I did get a blood test and will find out why I've been feeling so crap lately.

Comment

Gah! Your scanning rates are posted in a public area? I despise this technique of turning work (our kind of work -- not sales) into a competition in order to increase productivity; it's terribly manipulative and so obviously a product of pure "bottom-line" thinking. Plus this kind of standardization completely fails to account for variables and personal differences which may explain or even justify a slower "score". What if someone is a little slower because they tend to engage in friendly banter with customers? Should they be shamed in front of their peers?
                  It should go without saying that speed is critical in any job which has you processing people who are waiting in line. If employees need to be reminded of that, offer guidance and suggestions. Take the extra 1-5 minutes a day to give your employees the information they want and need to function most effectively in their jobs, and everyone will benefit.

Comment

Quoth Applerod View Post
                    Gah! Your scanning rates are posted in a public area? I despise this technique of turning work (our kind of work -- not sales) into a competition in order to increase productivity; it's terribly manipulative and so obviously a product of pure "bottom-line" thinking. Plus this kind of standardization completely fails to account for variables and personal differences which may explain or even justify a slower "score". What if someone is a little slower because they tend to engage in friendly banter with customers? Should they be shamed in front of their peers?
                    It should go without saying that speed is critical in any job which has you processing people who are waiting in line. If employees need to be reminded of that, offer guidance and suggestions. Take the extra 1-5 minutes a day to give your employees the information they want and need to function most effectively in their jobs, and everyone will benefit.
                    Actually, it wasn't in public, it was in the staff area, but posted on the board over the top of the checkout rosters. And you're right about the rest, it does get competitive after a while, I've been trying to prove that I am as fast as some of our supervisors (which I am) and I think that's what's draining me a little. But when you've got THAT staring you in the face, it's really irritating. And I used to talk to my customers for a bit, now I barely have time to because I'm trying to maintain my scanning rate.

At the moment though, all the checkout staff have been on alert for Asian (not being racist, it is critical) guys trying to buy gift cards with a stolen credit card (or cards). The information and photos have covered up a lot of it, but it's been placed near the scanning rate stuff because several of the staff in other departments are checkout trained. Now we've been told that if people buy a gift card for any amount over $100 we have to get supervisor approval (can be 1 card or several that add up to $100). It's kind of taken my mind off of things for a while because I'm focused more or less on finding the assholes. (and by the way, all the gift cards that have been bought with stolen cards are cancelled. And yes, we do have a code that comes up if the card has been lost/stolen, but chances are that the victims in question are unaware that their cards have been stolen.)

Comment

Working...
                    X