This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worcester

Teskeria's post reminded me of this incident...

I needed to go visit a company in order to establish an account with them. I called them and was told to go to their offices at 12345 Worcester St.

Opened up Google Maps. Entered in the address. Um. Nothing found.

Checked my spelling of "Worcester", as it's not one of the simplest words. Spelled it right.

Google Maps should've picked up any minor variants in spelling and automatically corrected them, but it didn't...

Bleh. I call them back and tell them I can't find the road. What's the name again? "Worcester."
    Um, how do you spell it? "W-O-O-S-T-E-R."

I should've remembered, this is El Paso, Texas.

Got to have been a New Englander! That's how we say Worchester.

Comment

Ha!

Ever hear this one?

"I dunno. Thaz westa Woosta."

[Translation: I don't know. That's west of Worcester.]
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

This reminds me of my grandmother who was from back east and for whom terminal Rs only existed on a few words that ended in a vowel.

My mom got a call from Grandma about having a flat and for my mom to go pick her up at the "Skoa Stoa," as she said it. Mom and Aunt both search their mapbooks and the phone book and call 411, but to no avail. They just can't find the "Score Store" anywhere. And as this is before the time of cell phones, they can't call Grandma back, either.

An hour passes.

Grandma calls back and asks what happened, at which point they have her spell "Skoa Stoa," for them, and she answers, "S - K - O - A ..."

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Probably not a New Englander. We know how to spell Worcester from correcting all the people pronouncing it Warchester.

My grandmother does not believe in terminal vowels, and is very proud of it. Lobstah is her favorite food, and it MUST be pronounced lobSTAH
          Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

Quoth Hyena Dandy View Post
            My grandmother does not believe in terminal vowels, and is very proud of it. Lobstah is her favorite food, and it MUST be pronounced lobSTAH
            Sure she's not from England, South East? That's how we tend to pronounce stuff around there. No such thing as a consonant at the end of words - or elsewhere, sometimes e.g. Luton (Loo-ton) is pronounced 'Loo-un' by the locals. Drove our headmaster mad when the school plays rolled around.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

"Why can't the English(speakers) learn to speak!?

Prof. H.H.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                Luton (Loo-ton) is pronounced 'Loo-un' by the locals. Drove our headmaster mad when the school plays rolled around.
                That's the glottal stop in place of the T.

I had a friend from the UK that worked in the comic shop I used to visit and we got into a discussion about accents and the like. He once told me about the time he had trouble trying to get "le'us" on his sandwich, in addition to the "tomah'oh."

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  Sure she's not from England, South East? That's how we tend to pronounce stuff around there. No such thing as a consonant at the end of words - or elsewhere, sometimes e.g. Luton (Loo-ton) is pronounced 'Loo-un' by the locals. Drove our headmaster mad when the school plays rolled around.
                  Absolutely sure. She's from Maine.

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

round where i grew up they tended to merge most hard sounds into soft ones (so "th" or "v" become "f").

I never really noticed but after 11 years of living elsewhere in the country, looking at an old video of a school play I noticed that one of the kids said "Fank you Fafer for eferyfink"

it just made me burst out laughing...
                    "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                    Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Where'd you grow up?

Comment

Quoth Hyena Dandy View Post
                        Where'd you grow up?
                        England, Just north of London, in the county of hertfordshire
                        "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
                          England, Just north of London, in the county of hertfordshire
                          Ooh, I know that accent. At least if you're from where I think you are. Can't do it without a prompt though.

Yeah, that would be right...

Comment

wow, didn't think there'd be anyone who'd know the accent!

I've now developed half a mancunian accent. Peopel in manchester say I sound too posh, people from my home say i sound really northern...

Comment

I was born in Seattle Washington. My mom swears I learned to speak in Waco Texas, before we moved back to WA. We moved to Ft Worth TX when I was 6 for a year and a half, moved to Austin, TX for a year and a half, up to Ohio for half a year, and back down to Austin when I was about 9 1/2. Everyone in Austin thought I was from England!

I now have a pretty thick drawl, but if/when I get upset or nervous, my speech reverts back to fast and clipped.
                              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X