This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to stop speaking in accents.

For reasons beyond my control, I actually need to speak in various accents during the course of the day in order to remain at all articulate when I speak. I'm somewhat of a shapeshifter by nature, not having any specific "trueform" if you would, but am somehow rather adept at using other masks and guises to allow myself to function on a basic level as those guises. I can completely transform my mannerisms in this way. I can absolutely fool anyone at all into thinking I'm from somewhere I was never raised in.

This applies to phone usage. .. .. where you can't see the person's face. Heh.

I'm covering Hardware today while the Hardware guy is eating his lunch, and I get a call over the headset to pick up line 2 for Hardware. I jog over to the phone, and find that I have switched seamlessly into "Indian Accent" mode.

--------------------------------------------
    I am now this person.

I handle the call, (Guy was looking for some doorknob.) and say the usual "have a good day" stuff, and hang up after he does.

I am now this person.

.. .. when the guy comes in to find the doorknob. He asks for the person that he called on the phone; some indian guy. I tell him that it was me, and that there is no indian guy working here. He insists that it was an indian guy, and he was very helpful. I thank him (lol) and tell him once again that it was me, quoting snippets of the conversation to him. He told me not to butt in to other peoples' conversations, and asked me again where the indian guy was.

(Insert necessary new paragraph here) Naturally, I break out the indian guy voice, and the guy tells me not to mimic him. He asks me for the name of the indian guy that works here, and once again, I tell him there was no indian guy. Ask anyone, man! We have no Indian Guy working here. So he did. He went from person to person wearing our vest asking if an Indian Guy worked here. Nobody responded positively.

The guy then wordlessly left me and walked all over the store looking for this guy who had helped him fifteen minutes ago on the phone. (Me!) I had completely forgotten about his request for doorknobs, so just wandered off myself to see what else had to be done in the store.

...I am now this person.

F*@% yeah.

SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Well, anything that serves to confuse the customer can't be all bad.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Thank you, come again!

Comment

For some reason, I have a Canadian accent. I was born in Texas and lived here 16 years, moved to Florida, then moved back to Texas. Somehow, in Florida I got the accent. It is completely bizarre and I have no control over it and my family thinks it is hilarious. Literally, the closest I have been to Canada is Vermont on a snowboarding trip.

I did play hockey for several years though....
        We ask ourselves when we get in a fix, what would Popeye do in a tight spot like this? He'd race for his true love and easily win it, in an old spinach can with a mast stuck in it. -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Quoth CaptainJillian View Post
          I did play hockey for several years though....
          That's it!

You got Puck'd.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

If your getting rid of your completely awesome talent of speaking in different tongues, ILL TAKE IT, I'm sure i can find a use for it somewhere....
            Check out my blog!
            Remember to Follow me!
            Also Check out my Facebook page here!

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              That's it!

You got Puck'd.
              I suppose my love (obsession) with Ed Belfour probably did it. Hahaha.
              We ask ourselves when we get in a fix, what would Popeye do in a tight spot like this? He'd race for his true love and easily win it, in an old spinach can with a mast stuck in it. -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
                ...I am now this person.

F*@% yeah.[/center]
                That's awesome! Love the 'timing'!
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

I think the title says it all, really. It may be a fun talent to have, but it's totally unprofessional.
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                    I think the title says it all, really. It may be a fun talent to have, but it's totally unprofessional.
                    I agree. What was the point?

Comment

Quoth Willis View Post
                      Well, when someone gets bad service from the Indian guy and wants his job. He obviously can't be found, and lynch mob goes elsewhere.

I have no idea why sometimes I start speaking with an Irish accent.
                      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth Willis View Post
                        For those of us who do this, it's not a conscious effort thing, it's just something that happens.

I've been accused of being from Texas, the UK, Ireland, and Australia, depsite having grown up and spent nearly my entire life in southern California.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I used to have a Southern accent, never having been further south than Chicago. Sometimes I still slip into it. It just pops out. When I try, I just sound like me.

I was also told I had an English accent despite never having been further east than NY/NJ. No one's mentioned it lately, so I guess I haven't used it.
                          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Back when I was working retail, I used to develop an unintentional Southern accent (I've lived in Arizona my entire life & my parents are from Ohio & New Hampshire) when I was approaching my "take sh*t, smile, and ask for more" limit. I actually had co-workers who would pick up on it and hurry over to cover my break.
                            "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Ha ha! The same thing happens to me a lot. I have a minor stuttering problem, which comes out when I get really excited or very nervous, so I put on one of two different accents when I deal with customers to make my sentences more smooth. My roots come from Ireland and a lot of the Southern states, so I just decide to go with an Irish accent or a Southern drawl, and a lot of the customers look very amused and delighted when I talk to them in either accent. They seem to like it so no one seems to care!

Comment

Working...
                              X