This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning the Tables..

It's hard to admit, but despite all the experience we have dealing with the angry people, the narcissists, the mentally deficient and melodramatic customers of this world.. sometimes we inadvertently find ourselves on the other side of the equation.

Go on, admit it. You've been a sucky customer once in your life.

A quick note about me: I work in IT, so my skillset necessarily involves troubleshooting, problem solving, and attention to detail. Let me stress that - I do this a million times a day, and am, if I may say so, very good at what I do. Keeping that in mind, here's a story about a broken oven..

Now.

About six months ago, I moved into a new apartment. Not being what you'd call a culinary master (making a sandwich is the height of my comestible prowess), it was about a month before I needed to use the oven.

I turn the temperature dial to 200° C, wait about fifteen minutes, and open the oven.

Stone cold.

I try the hotplates to see if the power is working at all (it's an electric oven, not gas). Power: Check. I pull out all the trays, grab a torch and look around to see if I can see the element. Nothing to be seen, but some ovens have them enclosed in the base, so I unscrew the plate below the oven door to try and get in. All my prior experience in oven repair has the unfortunate disadvantage of being fictitious, so I give up and call the Real Estate Agent I rent through to organise someone to come out to have a look at it. In the end, my property manager organises for a service repair person to swing by her office to get the house keys (work prevented me from being able to be there) and check out my oven.

The day comes, and that day I get a call from the repairman telling me he came out and found nothing wrong with the oven whatsoever. Whilst my inner self immediately begins construction of a fifty foot monument to the letters "WTF", I thank him and advise that I will test it when I get home.

I arrive back at my apartment and - you guessed it - it's still not working. I call back the repairman and, trying not to sound irritated, explain to him that it's clearly, unequivocally not working. Is he sure he checked it? Really? The oven, not the hotplate, right? Big door, large empty space, excellent choice of location for large uncooked food items? Yes?

It's apparent to me at this point that I am being a little condescending, but it's kind of hard for me to believe the guy did his job properly - what, did it suddenly fix itself for the duration of his visit, then immediately reverted to its non-functional state as soon as he left? I doubt it. I request a follow up service, for which I will make sure I am home so I can, as I tell him, "Show you the problem."

Two days later, the second appointment. He comes in, politely introduces himself and asks if I might show him "the problem". I walk over and turn the oven temperature dial all the way up. "It's not going to work. Just watch." I stand back, triumph in my eyes.

The repairman screws up his face for a second, then slowly, he says, "Ah."

Ah?

"I think I see the problem."

He moves beside me, leans down, and kindly says, "See this dial here, next to the temperature knob? It's got two settings, see: Grill, and Oven. Some of these old ovens won't power both at once, so you need to tuuurn this switch here, from grill, you can see here where it says grill, you turn the switch to to oven."

Oh.

Shit.

"Sorry, mate," he says, or at least I think he said that. I was a little preoccupied with my own thoughts of This Is Not Happening. "It's not your fault - they should have shown you how to use it when you moved in."

Was that pity? Did I just hear kindly, pat-on-the-head, here-boy-have-a-treat pity? He thinks I'm as dumb as a... as a... as a customer. Oh god.

"Oh," I say. "Oh."

"Don't worry about it - I'll just write on the service order that there was something wrong with.. uh.. I'll make a note that.. well I'll think of something."

Oh god help me.

"Anyway, I think that about wraps it up. Have a good day mate."

"Um. Thanks. Thank you. Um. Okay. Thank you. Bye."

Hi. My name's Dave, and I'm guilty of being an SC
    Last edited by dave; 03-26-2011, 03:15 PM. Reason: vanitas grammatica? i don't know.

You don't suck at all. There's a fine line where humans expect other humans to just know things. If you hadn't had that kind of oven before (and I'll admit I wouldn't have thought there was a switch), then you're not to blame. I wouldn't even call it "blame". The landlord should have explained to you how the oven works instead of assuming that you've had a similar oven before. At least the tech was really nice about it too. Sounds like he's done those types of calls before.

Comment

I wouldn't call that sucky, just not knowing. Sucky would have involved a hissy fit.
      "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

Not sucky, just lacking knowledge. No one knows everything, except SCs.

Now, if you had been a condescending jerk, screamed, demanded instant service, demanded a refund on your rent, demanded an entirely new oven, accused the repairman's mother of having mated with animals, etc., then you would be an SC.

I've had SC moments, but they didn't occur until after being dicked around and around, at which point I believe I've earned the right to behave that way. The exception being the absence department at my son's school, when they sent me a letter listing my son as truant, when he had been absent due to being run over by a car in front of his school. The guy gave me the "the computer does everything, I have no control" line, and I let loose. I was a lot stressed and I had hit the point of not caring. They then referred me to the central office, which had a completely different result, as the woman on the phone, when she heard about the situation, immediately offered her sympathies, and told me it would never happen again. And it hasn't.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth dave View Post
          A quick note about me: I work in IT, so my skillset necessarily involves troubleshooting, problem solving, and attention to detail. Let me stress that - I do this a million times a day, and am, if I may say so, very good at what I do.
          I used to have a job like that...It started going downhill the day the boss told me -- and I quote -- "It's not your JOB to think!"
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth dave View Post
            It's hard to admit, but despite all the experience we have dealing with the angry people, the narcissists, the mentally deficient and melodramatic customers of this world.
            You scared me there!! I thought this was going to be about my ex-husband!!

Last edited by Ree; 03-27-2011, 12:26 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags
            Have a nice day!
            l

Comment

I once had to use a online repair site to find out about a switch. Paid 15 bucks to find I had been stupid. Since i kept looking at the switch but not knowing what it did...didn't switch it. Easiest 15 that repair guy made.

Comment

I agree, you weren't really sucky. Just confused (join the club! )

BTW, I love your writing style.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Sucky to me means yelling, rudeness, and physcial harm. Either one or all three. I have never yelled, been rude, or hit anyone even if I didn't get what I wanted BECAUSE I have been there. I admit, probably if I never have worked like they do, I might've turned into a SC. So it stands to reason that most if not all SCs have never done menial jobs. The closest I've ever been sucks was when my bank suddenly changed my debit card without warning, and when I called to find out what was going on, the woman just said in a really mean tone, it's for your own protection and wouldn't offer any other explanation when I asked to explain further. I didn't yell, was rude, and just said Fine, ok. However I was so annoyed at the way she wouldn't give me any explanations, when the bank gave me a comment card, I gave her a bad score.....tho I felt a lil guilty afterwards. But she deserved it. No one messes with my money! LOL
                  Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                  The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
                  X