Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brain to mouth Filter Fail, and that's NOT a Woman.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain to mouth Filter Fail, and that's NOT a Woman.

Anybody who's been following my posts knows I used to work at one of the (if not THE) largest grocery store chains in America as a cashier. I saw some pretty weird things there, but I was mostly able to keep my trap shut whenever I saw something weird.

Until...this happened.

Me:
    C: Customer with really weird dyed neon yellow hair gelled into two long antennae pointing backwards over his head.-only the 'antennae' bits were yellow, the rest was black.
    CG: Customer's Girlfriend

C and CG start loading things onto my belt. I noticed the hairstyle immediately, and it reminded me of something, but I couldn't remember for the life of me what it was. Not being able to remember things bothers me (I have rather bad memory loss problems) so I started trying to recall it. This was a mistake.

C and CG finished unloading, I checked them out (still trying to remember) and they finally came up to pay. Then, as I was handing his card back-

Me: *snaps fingers* That's it! An Emperor Penguin! That's what the hair reminds me of!
    C: *blank stare*
    CG: *starts howling with laughter*
    Me: .....OhGoddidIsaythatoutloud?!!!

Thankfully he was pretty good-natured about it, even laughing a bit himself when I gave a very fast, somewhat garbled explanation of having no filter between my brain and my mouth, and his girlfriend was snickering the entire way out the door. I wanted to strangle myself with the cord to the store phone.

On another occasion, when I was working at a pharmacy chain, and I was once again on register (I probably shouldn't be put somewhere I can talk to people...) and someone comes up to check out. Everything about this individual looks pretty feminine-from the clothes, to the chest, long eyelashes, long hair, wide hips-everything registers in my brain as 'woman'. I also noticed that 'she' appeared to be pretty heavily into pregnancy, like she was due pretty soon. I greeted them and started checking them out, making idle conversation. The voice was a little deeper than normal for a girl, but my voice can sometimes be a bit deeper than normal for a girl too, so I figured this person probably had the same thing going on. Then, as I was getting to the end of their stuff:

Me: By the way, when are you due?
    Customer: .....what?
    Me: Your baby-when are you due?
    Customer: ........................I'm a man.

One of my coworkers said he'd never seen me turn that red before, and that's saying something since I tend to blush very, very easily. I apologized profusely, and the guy laughed it off, thankfully not getting offended and leaving amicably. Still, I can't believe I did that!

I need to buy a new filter for my mouth. Or maybe just a muzzle.

The gender thing is always embarrassing ... in self-defence (and especially after reading some of the posts here!) I've taken to making extremely vague comments to people -- "My, don't you look nice!" etc. etc. Or better yet ... "Hey, isn't this weather weird!"

But I when I read the Emperor Penguin story! Thank goodness he was willing to laugh it off ... although if he went to that extent to look different he was probably quite pleased with your description -- it probably gave him dinner conversation for the next six months!

Comment

*snerk* hahahahaha I'm glad they weren't offended and willing to laugh at themselves a bit.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

So there IS a worse question than asking a non-pregnant woman when she's due.

Comment

Are you sure you're not my wife?

I can proudly say I've never been fooled by a crossdresser/drag queen (though they're usually pretty easy to spot).

My friend however.....

Late at night after a gig & we're at Denny's,my friend's had a few drinks & loudly proclaims to us he's gonna go hit on the blonde a coupla booths over.I try quietly to convince him that it might not be the best idea,but he insists!!!

Then the blonde hears him,turns around & blows him a kiss,then he saw what I'd seen earlier: the 5:00 shadow under the well applied makeup
          "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Unless you see an actual head coming out of a woman's body, do not ask her if she's pregnant. You see what calamity can befall you if you do.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              Unless you see an actual head coming out of a woman's body,
              "Take off and nuke the site from orbit.It's the only way to be sure"
              "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

BTW, from a biological standpoint, men's eyelashes are usually longer than women's. *flutter*
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Check knuckles on hands, it's my way of checking. And when in doubt, just say "how are you feeling today?" I've had the foot-in-mouth due to the "are you pregnant", and the "Oh, not Miss...Mister!" before. Ow.
                  In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                  She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                    The gender thing is always embarrassing ... in self-defence (and especially after reading some of the posts here!) I've taken to making extremely vague comments to people -- "My, don't you look nice!" etc. etc. Or better yet ... "Hey, isn't this weather weird!"

But I when I read the Emperor Penguin story! Thank goodness he was willing to laugh it off ... although if he went to that extent to look different he was probably quite pleased with your description -- it probably gave him dinner conversation for the next six months!
                    I bet it did-oh god I was so embarrassed! XD But I'm glad that he just laughed it off, though I think his girlfriend scared some of the other customers with how hard she was laughing. XD

And I think I shall avoid asking the 'when are you due' question unless I see an infant fall on the floor.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      Unless you see an actual head coming out of a woman's body, do not ask her if she's pregnant. You see what calamity can befall you if you do.
                      Usually I'll ask if I can TELL if she's due (i.e. she looks like she's shoplifting a basketball)
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        Usually I'll ask if I can TELL if she's due (i.e. she looks like she's shoplifting a basketball)
                        Just don't accuse her of shoplifting a basketball.

The advice I received was to not assume a women is pregnant unless you see the baby coming out, and even then it's a good idea not to mention it.

I went to a party once and met a woman there who was the very image of advanced pregnancy. It turned out she was in her mid-60s. I never said a word.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                          BTW, from a biological standpoint, men's eyelashes are usually longer than women's. *flutter*
                          My (male) boss has the longest real lashes I have ever seen on a human being. Sadly, since he is a ginger, they don't show up well. But those things are like an inch and a half long, he could swat flies with them.

Comment

Working...
                          X