This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Soy Fiesta

(kudos if you get the reference, if you don't feel free to ask)

One of my little ones today woke up from nap wet. Turned out her diaper had reached maximum capacity and leaked some. So I clean her up, change her, and put a fresh outfit on her, and she's good to go. I then tie the soiled clothes in a plastic bag and write her name on the bag before hanging it in her cubby.

I get a call around 4:30 from her mom saying Grampa is picking up. I know Grampa, the man speaks very little English, and most times that English is horribly broken. But he speaks Spanish, as do I (although not as well as I'd like, despite majoring in it in college), so we are able to understand one another. He actually comes looking for me if we're outside because he knows I can understand him.

He picks the child up and asks about the bag. I tell him she's had an accident, those clothes are dirty. His face falls and he starts checking her for bumps, cuts, bruises, when I wave my hands saying "No, no." I try to tell him what I mean, when it hits me:
    I have no idea how to say "She peed herself".

So I do what I know best: I say "Esto (this)" and wave my hand in front of my crotch. I can hear my co-teacher J choke a laugh and put her head down on the play table. Grampa starts laughing, goes "Oh" and playfully shakes his finger at his granddaughter, teasing her.

I asked my co-worker (who is a native Spanish speaker) how to say it, and...I've already forgotten.

J isn't going to let me live this one down...

I'm totally right now. I don't know how to say it, either!
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You could have said..."La nena tenia ganas a ir por el bano pero se fue en sus ropas Y ahora los ropas estan susio".

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        You could have said..."La nena tenia ganas a ir por el bano pero se fue en sus ropas Y ahora los ropas estan susio".
        O_O that translates to "she wet herself" in Spanish?

Also, it's good to hear from you.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart

O_O that translates to "she wet herself" in Spanish?

Also, it's good to hear from you.
          The girl had wanted to go the bathroom but left in your clothes And now the clothes are dirty.

Or something close to that.

Comment

"The girl desired to go to the bathroom but went in her clothes and now her clothes are dirty".

Literal translating from written text has always been my strong suit. It's trying to come up with a legit-sounding response verbally after hearing Spanish that kills me.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
              The girl had wanted to go the bathroom but left in your clothes And now the clothes are dirty.

Or something close to that.
              That just makes it sound like she wanted to go to the bathroom but had sex instead!

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                That just makes it sound like she wanted to go to the bathroom but had sex instead!
                *blinks* What?

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  *blinks* What?
                  "the girl had wanted to go to the bathroom but left in your clothes and now the clothes are dirty"....the translation makes it sound a bit more risque when you think about it....i.e....the partners engaged in cross-dressing?

(Yes I KNOW this is a little girl, but just saying it in general sounds strange)

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                    So glad I wasn't drinking when I read that!
                    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                    X