X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blargh! Hate This Shift. HATE IT.

**WARNING: Contains words. Also: Obfuscation aplenty.**

It's been an average day at the ITSD at The Client. We get the 4-5pm call spike down, and things are quiet for a while.

The first major irritant of the day came during the 4-5pm spike, when I would spot a call rolling over in the call queue from Bender to me. In short, Bender had been in the call queue, but let a call bounce instead, so it hit the next person in the queue, who happened to be me. This happened TWICE IN A ROW.

Then [Trouble Ticket System] goes down. One of my coworkers says in our chat, "Is TTS down?" I tell him I think so. Then I get an IM from a user whom I've had a few calls with in the past (dunno how he got my full name in the system so he could IM me, but he did), asking the same thing. Yup, TTS is down, I'll let him know if I find anything else out.

Then I get a couple of calls from users who suddenly had some network issues and tried rebooting their terminals. When they still couldn't log back in-- either at their regular terminal or another one-- I thought it a bit odd, but couldn't be sure there was something else going on yet.

Then I get a call from an account admin, let's call her Sally, calling about a Tier2 ticket. I have to cut her off and admit that I can't look up any tickets with TTS being down. She explains that a user-data server went kooky, screwing up user permissions and access to network drives, and she'd been in touch with the Main Server Team, who recommended getting Tier3 involved. She wanted her Tier2 ticket sent along to Tier3. I told her I'd get that done as soon as TTS came back up.

All's well for a bit, until Sally IMs me. I didn't give her my full name in our call, but given that I've had to send escalation requests along to her group a few times, she probably just looked my name up that way. As she was getting flooded with requests to restore the permissions, and because [Main Server Team] wasn't able to fix it, she wanted me to ask the [Service Managers] to escalate it. So I hop in the IT Group Chat and pass the message along-- Account Admin needs an issue with User Server X addressed, impacting multiple users, she's requesting we get Tier3 involved. SM Elle tells me that MST can fix it. I reply that they already contacted MST, they can't fix it.

So we have people working on that, and I'm stuck playing chat-tag between the two (it's complicated, but suffice to say we don't just put users directly in touch with the SMs without the SMs' approval, and she wasn't giving it), getting a call back from the first user with the network profile issue and having to explain "It's not just you, there's a wider issue going on."

In the midst of all this, I get a call from a Close Support Tech in [Group A], needs a point of contact with the Close Support Team in [Group B], "it's an emergency." He'd tried calling Group B CST's main number, but gotten voicemail. I gave him Group B CST's secondary number. He calls back a few minutes later, still no luck, explains it's an emergency [Major App] issue. As soon as he name drops Major App, I know that this is more serious than most "emergencies" people call ITSD about. Group A CST Guy asks if he can get the phone number for the SMs, so they can try to call in someone from Group B CST about this issue. So I contact SM Elle, explain what Group A Guy's issue is, can I transfer him?

While I'm waiting on Elle's reply, Group A Guy gets impatient, asks "How long does it take to get a phone number?" Irritated but trying not to let it show, I tell him, "I can't just transfer you over without clearing it with her first." Fortunately, Elle agrees, so I transfer Group A Guy over and he's out of my hair.

So I'm still playing chat-tag between Elle and Sally, TTS comes up but it won't let me save any changes to any tickets or save changes on new ones either. Then TTS goes down again. And I'm still fielding too many calls about the User Server X issue, to the point where I'm wondering if my two coworkers are not in the call queue like they should be. (One of the two CWs is Bender, so I wouldn't put it past him to not be in the queue. The other is a newbie, and may not be aware he's not in the queue.)

As I write this, the calls have abated-- Sally is leaving for the day. TTS still won't work properly, and I'm just hoping things don't get worse.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Blargh! That shift! I don't blame you! Thanks to those good ol' GIs in WWII, there's a term for it: clusterf*ck. Hope you pulled through ok.

Comment

The calls have abated. TTS is back up and working properly. The account admins have their permissions restored on User Server X (which means they can now handle any network profile errors that users on that server get), although Sally has gone home.

My urge to stab people repeatedly has likewise abated. No risk of me going Jack Noir on anyone.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        Blargh! That shift! I don't blame you! Thanks to those good ol' GIs in WWII, there's a term for it: clusterf*ck. .
        the good ol' Charlie Foxtrot. I use that a lot since I have to keep it clean at work, and prefer not to swear in front of kids. (yeah I know they hear it everywhere, but at least not from me. and hey, I got a group of teenagers using Flipping instead of the usual. Talk about shocked faces when they heard themselves saying 'Flipping idiot' instead of what they thought they were going to say! )

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
          they heard themselves saying 'Flipping idiot' instead of what they thought they were going to say!
          I've self-censored with "fark" so often that it occasionally slips out when I was intending an f-bomb.

Glad things settled out, J2000.

Comment

Working...
          X