This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreadful looming specter of tourist season

Well, it seems official -- tourist season has begun roughly two months early this year. Ordinarily, we don't have to put up with the levels of weirdness experienced yesterday until Memorial Day weekend and afterward. But there it was, all splayed out, in full view of God, the queen, and her underpants.

The first problem was that our housekeepers were slacking off while the boss was out of town. She gets back today and things will undoubtedly improve, but while she was gone, it seemed as though the housekeepers were so stupid that it was a miracle they could walk upright. This was evidenced by literally hundreds of towels piled up in the laundry room. And where should they have been instead? Perhaps... in the rooms? Pshaw! What nonsense. Who ever heard of putting towels in the rooms? I mean, it's not like the guests will complain, after all.

However, the stupidity reached an ugly head yesterday. Apparently, the last person to occupy a particular room took a dump on the bedspread. The housekeeper did not notice this, and changed the sheets, then remade the bed. The next person to check in sat down on the bedspread and befouled their clothing. They were not happy, to say the least, although I think that I managed to defuse the situation enough so that there won't be any screaming at checkout in the morning.

Meanwhile, one lock broke, another forgot which door it belonged to, no fewer than twenty remote controls went missing, we ran out of bleach, some poor but nice person politely pointed out that their shower curtain was covered with mold so advanced that it appeared to trying to form rudimentary syllables and have a chat with them, and the Starbucks bimbo fell down the stairs.

Then, all day yesterday, a woman kept calling at intervals to ask if her husband was there, or if we expected him in. He wasn't there, and wasn't expected. At all. The last time she called, she told me that when (not if) I saw him, I needed to tell him to call his wife because she was going to kill herself. This meant I had to ask a nice couple to wait a moment while I called the police. They were from California, and the look on their face when my Southern politeness automatically kicked in was priceless.

Me: "I'm sorry, but would you mind waiting just a moment, please? That lady on the phone just threatened suicide, and I'll need to call the police."
    Them: "Um... No, go right ahead."
    Me: "Thank you so much. I'll be right with you."
    Them:
    Me: (after talking with the cops) "Thank you for your patience. Now, you were asking about a suite and I happen to have one left. The rate is $99.95 plus tax. Would you like to take a look at it to make sure it will suit you?"
    Them:

That, I believe, is what they mean when they say you're good in a crisis. Ought to bode well for me when I go about applying for that job at the rehab center, I'd think.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 04-01-2007, 10:59 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
    Apparently, the last person to occupy the room took a dump on the bedspread. The housekeeper did not notice this, and changed the sheets, then remade the bed.
    How...how does one NOT notice something like that?
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

And what kind of filthy mongoloid deuces on a bedspread and just leaves it there?
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        And what kind of filthy mongoloid deuces on a bedspread and just leaves it there?
        Very likely the same kind who leaves a well-filled maxi pad on the floor beside the first floor ice machine. I had to clean that up about an hour ago.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          How...how does one NOT notice something like that?
          To be perfectly fair I suppose it's possible that the new people to check into that room did it, but I dunno...

Comment

Very likely the same kind who leaves a well-filled maxi pad on the floor beside the first floor ice machine. I had to clean that up about an hour ago.
            I have a french expression for that. 125 comments.

In french it's "sans commentaires", no comments, but phonetically, it can also mean 100 comments. And I have more than 100 comments.

So many words and nothing will come out. Stupidity does that to me.
            Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

I love hotels. The first month of my new job in france, we got booked in this really lame hotel. The hotel itself was nice, but the rooms were small, no breakfast and that stuff. We were about 5 or 6 people from germany in france with no one able to speak french (yeah, don't ask).

The ladies that made our bed were paid by the room. I did not know that. So, we were still lying in bed and they were trying to clean up. Of course that is not a good thing.

I tried to tell them, its ok, you don't need to come in now, everything is all right, standing there in my boxers. As I've said, we were booked for one month. After about two weeks of getting disturbed with DND signs on the door at about 9 in the morning, when you have to go to work at about 4 o'clock later that day... we were pretty pissed.

Bad thing, you couldn't lock the doors... well, you could, but they opened them anyway. So people were getting pissy and I think 4 or 5 people started throwing shoes

It was terrible and funny at once.

I hope I'll never have to do that again.
              http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
              Melody Gardot

Comment

some poor but nice person politely pointed out that their shower curtain was covered with mold so advanced that it appeared to trying to form rudimentary syllables and have a chat with them
                I wonder if the mold on the shower curtain is a cousin of whatever was growing in Blas' fridge.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Or the spawn of something my last roommate left in the apartment fridge....no, if it was it probably would have tried to eat someone.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                  X