This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth dalesys View Post
    Tuesday: Bring back just as many kids from the field trip as we took.
    Wednesday: This time, bring back the same kids. The other school was irate.
    No, no, you gotta remember the Scouting rule!

It's a good trip as long as 90% of the boys come back :P
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
      No, no, you gotta remember the Scouting rule!

I'll have to share that with my sister (Scouts in Aussieland is Mixed-Gender, she co-leads a Joey* mob with a friend)

*we have "Aussie" names for our Scout groups down here. They are Joeys (5-8), Cubs (8-10), Scouts (10-14), Venturers (14-18) and Rovers (18-25). Sis is currently a Rover. If/when I go down the kid route, I swear I'm going to encourage our kidlet to join Sea Scouts (same setup as above, but they do more marine activities)
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
        Our rule was +/- 10%. If we found them, we could keep them...

Even in a uniform we couldn't convince our Scoutmaster that the bear cub was a lost Scout.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

So it looks like I managed to escape the lecture. FOR NOW.

as for the remaining shifts I had:

-I spoke to BossLady (who works at a nearby service*) and she admitted that it takes time for the newbies to get up to speed. Some are quicker than others. (this was the day after the incident)

-On the first day back I had on the second week, I got to experience the joy of being both under and over ratio the entire shift. Surprisingly though, it actually went smoothly. I just need to be more vigilant now, since I seem to be filling out more paperwork per shift and never finding the time to do so. >.>

-As for the excursion, I got a GREAT group. The kids could choose us, which was awkward at first. Once my group signed up though, I ended up with one of the smallest groups (due to one of the kids wanting to go with the bossman which was fine) but all the kids were around similar age groups and I knew them. They were also VERY well behaved for a group. (I had 3 year 3/4 kids, 3 year 1's and a year 5)

-Then I had to call out on my last day because I lost my voice to the great illness known as tonsilitis (seriously, I just open my mouth, doc takes one look and the next word out of his mouth is "tonsilitis"). Luckily I DON'T need a medical certificate (for whatever reason), but I still try and do the right thing by getting hold of one just in case.

So upon reflection, I actually didn't do too bad

*-there are a number of services around the country. you can work at any one of them either on an ongoing or an emergency basis. I currently work both ongoing and emergency at my current site. There's a site nearby which has a smaller group (around 30-40 kids as opposed to 80-100) and therefore they don't usually need emergency staff. Because the kids from those two schools meet during the school holidays at MY site, the bosslady and bossman switch shifts so he takes the morning, she takes the afternoon.
          Last edited by fireheart; 07-21-2013, 01:41 PM.
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            ... the next word out of his mouth is "tonsilitis"). ...
            You get all the ice cream you can eat...

...going to smear it all over me, put a cherry in my belly button, and be the biggest chocolate sundae you've ever seen...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
            X