This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Situation with customer and phone call from supervisor

I have been working at a different location since last week covering for the usual cashier, who is on her 2 week vacation. I was told by the cashier that everyone has to pay for their parking or get it validated. This happened in front of the supervisor I will mention later in this post.

When I was hired, I signed paperwork stating that I understand that I cannot give free or discounted parking to any customer.

The location I am working at is different. Last week I dealt with a customer whose parking fee is $5.00. He told me that he works for x company and that he should not have to pay for his parking. I let him know that he either has to pay for his parking or get it validated. So he called his supervisor and told him that he is being told that he has to pay for his parking. Afte getting off the phone, he told me that he was working with the property management company. I told him that the property management company has to validate his parking. He then called the property management company. After ending the call, the exit gate went up. He got out for free. There is a cashier report that I have to fill out every day. There is a section at the bottom of that report for any comments. I explained what happened.

I got a phone call yesterday at work from the supervisor who is over several properties, including this location. She works for my employer. My employer manages those properties. She told me that this particular location wants good customer service and if anyone does not want to pay, get their name and phone number and let them out.

Why did this have to happen? How am I supposed to do my job?

Does this supervisor have any direct authority over you? If not, clear her instructions with your employer first, because this could bit you in the ass. It's well and good if they wants thing handled a certain way, but your boss needs to be the one to clarify the instructions. Each day when you make a list of who received free parking, it'd also be a good idea to record the name of the supervisor and list that on such-and-such date she instructed that the following customers be allowed free parking blah blah blah.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

In my head this spells, no one has to pay ever... Just get names and phone numbers.

I hate it when these people throw you under the bus like that, I've washed my hands of situations like this before, if the management can't be assed to deal with a problem, or give me the authority to deal with it myself, because *I* get yelled at about it, not them, then F it. When the customers call to complain I don't tow the company line anymore, I explain how it is, and the manager can fix the problem, if they're not happy with that, talk to the manager about it not me. I've already done what I can.

Comment

Get this ruling in writing, signed off by this supervisor.
        And then list these peoples name and phone number on a sheet of paper under this instruction from this supervisor.
        Either they are correct in giving you this instruction, in which case you are being a nice and reliable member of staff by keeping records, or this supervisor will have a rethink...
        I've certainly had a boss have a rethink once I asked her to put a specific instruction on paper (or even an email).

Comment

Working...
        X