Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its too bad the greedy corporate vultures just don't say, across the board "let's NOT be open on Thanksgiving" its a simple idea, if there's nowhere to shop, no one will. but GOD FORBID they miss out on any potential profits!

I work PT in retail, and until 3 years ago, spent Thanksgiving out of state with my parents/mom. Now that I don't go, I work during the week, whenever they schedule me. As far as I know, we are NOT open on Thanksgiving, but are opening at 7am on BF. I, however, am not scheduled at all that day. I don't know why, but don't question it.

And the only shopping I will be doing is grocery! I've found that's the best time to go, early on BF since everyone else is out tyring to hunt down deals, and no one is interested in getting more food!

Comment

I'm hoping--if I am scheduled for BF--it will be quiet so I can, I don't know, actually work on a few of the projects ASM gave me before he left for training (in September).

If I'm off, I don't plan to go out unless I need to (although my neighborhood should be decently quiet) and I'm staying away from downtown. Definitely avoiding the craft store ...there are no deals good enough to make me risk becoming part of a "Black Friday rampage" newspiece.

I'm going to notify whoever does the scheduling that I do NOT want to be put on register on the 27th. I'll do selfscan, bagging, cover cashier breaks or wander answering questions (returns are probably not an option given how crowded it will be), but I do not want to ring primarily.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Costco and Nordstrom both refusing to open for Thanksgiving.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...p_ref=business

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          Costco and Nordstrom both refusing to open for Thanksgiving.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...p_ref=business
          So is my store! The ad even says, "Because we respect our Team Members' family time, our stores will be closed on Thursday, Nov. 28 for Thanksgiving."

We will be opening at 6 AM on Friday. After a good night's turkey-tryptophan-induced sleep, I think I can handle a 6 AM opening.
          Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          I'm going to notify whoever does the scheduling that I do NOT want to be put on register on the 27th.
          As for me, I'd rather be put on register most of the shift. 4-8 hours of cutting fabric, especially on a super busy day, leaves me with a painful wrist. And forget restocking; the floor's going to be so crowded you won't be able to move!
          Last edited by XCashier; 11-16-2013, 02:42 PM.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I'm too tall for our register keypads, and the 'ergonomic floor mats' are not (they're probably as old as the registers). If I'm standing in one place for longer than 2 hours at a time my back and feet start making me grumpy. At least with self-scam I can move around if I need to.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              I'm too tall for our register keypads, and the 'ergonomic floor mats' are not (they're probably as old as the registers). If I'm standing in one place for longer than 2 hours at a time my back and feet start making me grumpy. At least with self-scam I can move around if I need to.
              Understandable. At the old store, we had ancient floor mats too (I don't know which was harder: the floor itself or the mats!) and the cutting counters were shorter than the ones we have now, so it was even worse then.

Pity they don't make adjustable-height register keyboards. I'm sure my 6'3" coworker would appreciate that!
              My LiveJournal

Comment

Y'know, I suspect there's an amazing promotional opportunity for some store to advertise, quite clearly and distinctly:

1) Black Friday promotions run the whole day,
                2) Rain checks will be issued if stock runs out, and
                3) We're so sure that you'll love our prices, that we're going to be open only regular hours, so there's no reason or need to wake up at Too Damn Early O'clock.

I mean, my experience is that, with all the earlier and earlier hours, by 10 AM on black friday, most places are back to their regular traffic patterns. So, in theory at least, you could attract a lot of people who don't want to fight with crowds while keeping labor down.

Comment

I remember that, my first and last BF at the register was hectic -- for 3 hours. After that it seemed like every cashier was empty...
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                    Y'know, I suspect there's an amazing promotional opportunity for some store....
                    Yes and no. For us sane folk, perfect! ('course, most of us will already have a budget that sales won't alter, have done some/all our shopping already, done/will do our shopping online...)

For the type we see discussed here all too often, probably not. These extra early hours and crowded conditions provide emotional aspects to their shopping that they crave - getting the "best" deals (even though a little research and planning would probably beat most of them), "outhunting" their peers, and bearing the "noble sacrifice" of giving up family and friends at ungodly hours to provide better presents.

Think of how many of them seem to enjoy playing the self-sacrifice card at work on the Monday after: "Oh, I didn't even get to try the turkey, but I got little Johnny the last Gizmo IV in Anytown, so it was worth it!"

And not to disparage those stores closed on t-day, but I know that a couple of those I've posted have, in fact, tried earlier openings and it just didn't work out, so they're putting that family spin on something they weren't going to do in any case.
                    Last edited by sms001; 11-17-2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      And not to disparage those stores closed on t-day, but I know that a couple of those I've posted have, in fact, tried earlier openings and it just didn't work out, so they're putting that family spin on something they weren't going to do in any case.
                      I don't doubt that. But they did learn their lesson from it. I can understand playing the family angle; it sounds better than, "hey, we opened last Thanksgiving and made a whopping $43 in sales, so screw that, we're closed this Thanksgiving!".
                      My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        But they did learn their lesson from it.

Given how many times we've seen MiM repeat the same stupid mistakes over and over, you're right, that IS something!

Comment

Looks like I got lucky and dodged a bullet this Thanksgiving. I have been scheduled off that day and will work a 5am to 5pm shift on Black Friday. Many of my coworkers weren't so lucky.
                          "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I'm off Thanksgiving since I took it off but I'm working a longer shift on Black Friday. Not usual really it's just my usual schedule. At least I know I'm going to be working with some people I like and doing a full shift on the front end alone. Yay.
                            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Just got the best news!! We won't be opening at 8pm on Thanksgiving!!!!!
                              "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
                              "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

We have never been unusually busy on that day as I work in a bookstore that doesn't offer additional sales that day. I never minded working it but since I've been mostly staying at home with the kid I pretty much choose when I work, and we have ben out of town that day for the past few years. The store is also closed on Thanksgiving.
                                https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Working...
                                X