This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money is the root of all evil...

Actually: play money is the root of all evil!

So every now and then we'll get in this gigantic order from our art and craft supplier. Usually it'll be stuff like paper, paint, brushes etc. In one of the orders was play money. Sounds completely innocent right?

Well, we found it good when the kids were setting up little shops and playing with it correctly-that is, trading it for goods and services.

Then things got out of hand.

The issues? The little ones not quite grasping the concept of money and the big kids grasping the concept of money quite easily and using it to bully the little ones.

Examples:

-One of the little ones (who's normally one of the WORST offenders for behaviour!) actually threw a tantrum when it was time to pack up. He was also under the belief that the money in the "till" was his and his alone, rather than the stores.

-Among the play money were a few "debit" cards. Correction: credit cards. Someone tried to use them as debit cards however and it turned into this fight with the little kids trying to hoard the money and the big kids trying to "rightfully" withdraw it.

-Another shop (one this time) attempted to be made. Except that the person in charge of running said shop kept stealing stuff from the activity room. Then refused to share. Scary thing was, this was a "big kid." He only attended morning shifts though. He also sulked big time when the money was confiscated.

The last two incidents were pretty much what has since resulted in the play money being BANNED for now. I'm actually tempted to pull it out again and teach the little kids about how to use money appropriately and in a controlled environment, rather than having it turn into the chaos it became last week.

But I'll do that on a day when there's me and "less experienced" staff around (we're getting a new bossperson in a few weeks, but during the summer holidays, the coordinator for a nearby service takes split shift with the bossman here. The coordinator there trusts me to work on my own. Part of me secretly wants her over here )
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Money is the root of all evil. I want to save everyone from its temptation, so everyone should just give their money to me. I'll take the hit for all of you.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

"For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil."

Sounds like the focus of a good lesson to me. Hope you can get the tykes sorted, fire. Real money's not too far in their future.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        Sounds like the focus of a good lesson to me. Hope you can get the tykes sorted, fire. Real money's not too far in their future.
        For now, we've been emphasising that due to the weak choices of some people, we've had to be the boss of their own behaviour and take the money away from everyone else.

I have never seen the group fold so quickly though over play money.

Thankfully we don't have Monopoly, but we do have a ludo-esque game that I might pull out to teach the kids that emphasises the use of money. (that is, you don't hoard your own)

We also have this rule that's a blanket rule across all services. The rule is that for excursions, the kids are not allowed to bring money along. Staff are also encouraged to model good behaviour and not buy things like coffee while they're on excursion.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
          ...t we do have a ludo-esque game ...
          A Lupo-esque game?
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            A Lupo-esque game?
            No there's no crazy magnet.

Comment

Working...
            X