Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No show, no call! Since when did this become an acceptable way to quit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get this... the new guy called in sick on his second day. But at least he called.

Comment

Had that happen with a co-worker at the library this past summer - he was a great person, a good worker, but was having a hard time with certain aspects of the job. So he apparently just decided he wasn't coming back to work, and quit without telling anyone......I think someone had to call to find out what was going on.

Comment

I have had a couple of NCNS in my career: I screwed up my calendar and didn't think I was working that day. When they called, I apologized and went in.

I did quit one job this way, early in my career. I worked exactly one shift. My co-workers were so cold and unreceptive to my presence, I couldn't get them to answer any questions or help me with anything.

I never went back. I found out later that when I didn't show up, they just marked me off the schedule and filed the termination. They never did call to find out why I didn't come back. Turned out that they lost a lot of new employees on that floor that way; the nurses were so hateful no one wanted to work there, and turnover was insanely high.

The same people were still working there (I recognized them) when I went back to that unit a couple of years later for clinic when I was in my ADN program. They hadn't gotten any better. I was glad when the semester ended, and I was rotated to a different hospital for my final semester.

Needless to say, that job never went on my resume, and I never reapplied to work there again.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I had a guy basically do this to me TWICE. He NCNS'd on a Sunday and this was in a small store with only two people scheduled so I had run the whole show by myself for an entire day.

He actually did come back a day later, apologize and that was that...

until he NCNS'd the NEXT SUNDAY, once again leaving me to run the store alone.

He was never heard from again after that.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I swear, if I hadn't gone to HR (personnel) to turn in my smock and badge, I'd have probably been considered NC/NS and terminated. I'd turned in my letter of resignation to the assistant manager over my department and he "forgot"* to file the letter with personnel. Apparently, the personnel manager had gotten so many complaints like this about him that she was tired of it. She was also a work friend, so I got to pick what I wanted put on my termination of employment paperwork.

*Apparently he was trying to cause every cashier who quit under him to be NCNS to keep them from being eligible for rehire. He was an idiot, since we had to turn in our smocks and badges to personnel, not him. Personnel Manager was pissed at him and started filling and back-dating our resignations. Sadly, this meant she saved his hide, but she also got his ass transferred out of state with a "Don't come back to any store I'm at."
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Just found out that one of my past roommates did this after she was complaining about work four 6-hour days in a row.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                Just found out that one of my past roommates did this after she was complaining about work four 6-hour days in a row.
                she was complaining about 6-hour days? why? that's a pretty short shift... (full time is 9 hours, so unless it was interfering with another job/school...)

Comment

I didn't do this, but the person that was hired and started the Monday after the Friday i was fired did. My boss had decided (and gotten permission) to begin working from home. this was in the early 90's when it wasn't as common, and upper management then told me I'd be "helping" another dept. well, no guidance, nothing, and I was clearly doing TWO full tiem jobs. first job out of school so i had no spine and couldn't stand up to them or ask for more money. I also think the assumption was my boss wasnt IN the office much, so the work wasn't there. HA.

Anyway, i was stressed to the max, and miserable, and wanting to be fired. which i was, but it was said they had bought another co, two people, one position, and I had to go. fine. so my boss finds out and is pissed as she wasn't consulted. so monday the new person starts, tuesday she leaves in gthe am, never to be seen again. HA - my boss called me to tell me and told me she thought i'd like to know. we had a good laugh, and it took them a while to find a replacement.

Comment

Catwoman, I think they call that karma. They got what they deserved for treating you like that.

Comment

I had one NC/almostNS. I had put in a day-off request weeks before. On that day, I got a ride from my mom (we were both helping out at a friend's event downtown) and she happened to stop for groceries. I go in to help--I was supposed to help her out all day.

ASM: "Hey, you were supposed to be here at noon!"
                      Me: "Errr....no I wasn't. I'm not on the schedule."
                      SM: "There you are! How long will it take you to get in uniform?"
                      Me: *sigh* : "I gotta go home and change, gimme 10 minutes."

I was somehow in the timeclock system but NOT on the printed schedule (which is created from system entries, so that 'mistake' could not have happened unless someone had put me in that morning...which also should not have happened).
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                        unless someone had put me in that morning...which also should not have happened).
                        Which is why I finally caved and got a phone w/ a camera. I take a quick snap of the schedule when it goes up. Sometimes it's worth fighting about, other times not, but at least it keeps them from lying to my face.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                          Catwoman, I think they call that karma. They got what they deserved for treating you like that.
                          Oh yes. MOST definitely. I worked in publishing, in sales and marketing. TPTB made us do this one report, weekly, on marketing and sales figures. which was a big fat CF. Several of us had portions to do, and we had ONE floppy diskette we used. and passed around. NO backup.

I hated that report with a passion as it literaly took up half my time. and this was the job I was "helping" out with. And it was really just data entry. But you had to hunt down the figures etc. and plug them in.

After my firing, as I was gathering my things, I still had said disk. I can't tell you just how very tempting it was to either take it with me, or simple erase ALL the data on it (we used the prior weeks to do the next, and so on). But I stayed professional, and simply left it. What I heard was they threw this task at my replacement, and told her when it was due, and to "figure it out"

At which point ,she did, by walking out. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Oh, I think I have a perfect one for this thread:
                            Picture it, -- oh crap... REALLY should NOT have gotten Sis the first four seasons of Golden Girls on DVD...
                            ANYROAD!!!

My sister USED to work at a day-spa ((that is a whole other story, right there)) as the manager. They had just hired a girl who can only be described as "white trailer trash skank trying to be an emo".
                            ((Now, just FYI, if *I* can detect a HINT of something like that, it is so utterly blatantly obvious to the rest of the world that it proves I'm socially stupid. okay? Okay, moving on))
                            This "Yikes" had an easy job: file, do laundry, sweep... for 16 hours a week. PERIOD. That was ALL that was required of her. This "Yikes" lived NEXT DOOR to the spa.
                            She decided to leave notice of having quit...

...on her FACEBOOK PAGE.

Comment

I've been reading these stories thinking it was completely disgraceful that people were doing this but then it hit me that I'd done exactly this once.

Sort of.

I went through a period of eighteen months of unemployment after leaving Youth Training in the early '90s. I was desperate to get into work, any kind of work and I replied to an advert in a newspaper for a sales job. The interview went well and I was told I was starting the following Monday at 8am. Even after the interview though I was very dubious about the job as no mention was made of pay or exactly what the job entailed.

The job was based 25 miles away and at the time I hadn't passed my test so I caught the bus there. I turned up and found myself in a room full of 20 other people. I was told that the bus was on its way and we'd be out til quite late, was there any problems?

I insisted on finding out information while I was still in the office. I found out it was door to door selling and it was 100% commission with no base salary. I said 'Not for me' and walked back out the door to catch my bus home.

Comment

Quoth retro View Post
                                I've been reading these stories thinking it was completely disgraceful that people were doing this but then it hit me that I'd done exactly this once.

Sort of.

I went through a period of eighteen months of unemployment after leaving Youth Training in the early '90s. I was desperate to get into work, any kind of work and I replied to an advert in a newspaper for a sales job. The interview went well and I was told I was starting the following Monday at 8am. Even after the interview though I was very dubious about the job as no mention was made of pay or exactly what the job entailed.

The job was based 25 miles away and at the time I hadn't passed my test so I caught the bus there. I turned up and found myself in a room full of 20 other people. I was told that the bus was on its way and we'd be out til quite late, was there any problems?

I insisted on finding out information while I was still in the office. I found out it was door to door selling and it was 100% commission with no base salary. I said 'Not for me' and walked back out the door to catch my bus home.
                                that's not the kind of NCNS that is the problem- the complaint is about NCNSes that lave your co-workers having to pick up the slack at short notice. With the door-to-door selling job, it wouldn't affect you co-workers.

Comment

Working...
                                X