Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time zones, you learned about them in 1st grade?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time zones, you learned about them in 1st grade?

Background: I work from home in NC (lucky me, I know) most of my clients live in California. They all are aware of this detail. Since I am so far I schedule a 30 minute call per week to go over the individual ins and outs of my clients projects.

So this is the conversation I had today

Me (in NC) : poor pay-by-project slave
    SC (in Cali): dofus-mighty-big-pain-in-the-arse-client-who-I-would-terminate-but-she-keeps- my-cat-in-whiskas-packets-(kitty chronic)-and-me-in-cheez it's- (people chronic)

SC: I'm going to have to change our meeting time tomorrow from 5 to 8 (pm)

Me: um is there another day we can talk? That's kind of late for me.

SC (in a sarcastic tone she uses constantly, guess she thinks its a real motivator or something): Nooo I told you Thursday is the only day I can talk about this project. Don't you remember I told you Thursday, don't you write these things down?

Me: Yes, I know Thursday, but the thing is, eight your time is really late for me, I don't think I'm going to be my regular charming self.

SC: 8 is NOT that late. If you can't be alert at eight at night then go to bed earlier.

Me: um you do realize North Carolina is three hours ahead

SC: I don't care what time you start work, I still don't think eight o'clock is too late to talk about the project.

Me: yeah ... eight your time, eleven my time?

SC: Oh

Silence ....

SC: Well ... just drink some coffee or something

So crap ... now I have to start having business meetings at 11pm on Thursday. There go end of the week beers. Oh well I'll just plug my headphones into the Tv and watch the Daily Show while I pretend to listen to her.

Darn those green bits of paper, why do I like them so much?

Actually, I think I learned about time zones before I even entered school, when I was watching too much TV and I wondered what it meant when they said a certain show would be on "8 Eastern, 7 Central"
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Actually, I think I learned about time zones before I even entered school, when I was watching too much TV and I wondered what it meant when they said a certain show would be on "8 Eastern, 7 Central"

That is how I started to learn about them
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Any chance of adding an "Out of Hours" premium to the bill?
        ludo ergo sum

Comment

We sell worldwide and get that sort of thing a lot too: Californians who don't understand why somebody might be at lunch at 9 AM...folks in countries with a different work week who wonder why we don't answer emails on Sunday...Africans and Europeans wondering why they have to wait until almost quitting time to hear back from us...Aussies and Kiwis emailing us from the future...

Most of them don't act sucky and for those who get a little peeved, a polite explanation will usually smooth things over, but my second post on this site involved a not-very-nice Californian lady. Off to post it in the Annals.
          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

And I think ABC had Central and Mountain, for some reason.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

It's amazing how the simplest things can get people so confused. No wonder we have books like "The Darwin Awards"

Comment

Actually, I think I learned about time zones before I even entered school
                Me too.

And they say that TV isn't educational.
                my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
                it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

yeah my passengers don't understand time zones either.
                  No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                    Aussies and Kiwis emailing us from the future...
                    Wow, you should ask them who won the World Series, the Olympics and when exactly are the Martians invading.
                    Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

My co-workers are bad with time zones, especially down route on a layover they get very very confused. Bless.
                      No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Can you set up the Out of Office autreply with your working hours, and local times, so they get a bajillion replies back?
                        ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                          Can you set up the Out of Office autreply with your working hours, and local times, so they get a bajillion replies back?
                          Sounds like a plan... SECONDED!
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                          X