This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment Update (Longish)

Since there's been... a bit of a new situation that popped up, I felt it was a good idea to make a new thread.

So, if you have been following, you know I've been out of a job for quite some time, and I had applied to the local Dunkin Donuts and Hess Station... I checked with both places, Dunkin Donuts all but told me "No." Oh well...

But, Hess wanted to hire me! Yes, I talked to the Manager, who said I would have to cut my hair, thus came my previous thread. I bitched and moaned, but eventually I decided I might as well do it. I walked in with all my Info, and we start working on putting me in the system. That’s when he says...

Manager: "Okay, I'm going to put you outside to work."
    Me: "Um... But I applied for a store job... You mean outside doing?"
    Manager: "Uh...Gas. I'm sorry, but I don't have any openings in the store."
    Me: "Oh...Well, I'm sorry I just can't do that."

It’s the truth, I cannot pump gas. I don't believe I'm above the job, quite the opposite, the guys who do that are better men than me. I just... can't stand outside in extreme weather. I'm not weather friendly...

So he tells me he will definitely keep me informed if an opening comes up, I thank him and go home. It is time to stop messing around... I go APESHIT on online applications. I applied to several places in only a few hours...

Best Buy, Staples, Blockbuster, ACME(Grocery store). And all the while I keep thinking of OTHER places to apply to. I'm done messing around, I'm GETTING a job.

So I also head down to Regal Cinema, since they don't have an online application. I walk in and ask for an application, the woman behind the counter was actually the Hiring manager. She told me that they were definitely looking, and to come in tomorrow with my application for an interview.

Kick.... Ass.

This has got to be the best example of "When God closes a door, he opens a window."

Well I am CRAWLING through that window like a cat burglar, I'm robbing God blind.

I was, pretty much, guaranteed a job.

Check back for updates tomorrow!
    "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
    ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
    This has got to be the best example of "When God closes a door, he opens a window."

Well I am CRAWLING through that window like a cat burglar, I'm robbing God blind.
    Fortunately, I don't think He'll mind. Regal is a reasonably good chain, from what I've seen (though what I've seen is mostly the lobby by the arcade games.)

Normally, I'm leery about places that practicaly beg you to take a job. However, with SpiderMan 3 due out next week, it's understandable. Do keep in mind that we're likely to have about two months of solid business this year (May-June), and then they're likely to be cutting hours starting about mid-July. (Of course, general employee attrition means that it's not going to completly drop off, and usually the good employees seem to get more hours than the rest.

Comment

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
      This had me cracking up so bad. I'm gonna be giggling at work all day, thank you!

Best of luck with the interview! A couple friends of mine have worked in the cinema and they both greatly enjoyed it.

I do have one question though... Did you already cut your hair?
      Re: Quiche.
      Pie is manly.
      Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
      Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
      So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
        I know the feeling. A year and a half ago, I was out of work, and it seemed like I couldn't buy a job. I put in applications all over the place... it didn't really matter where.... but no luck.

One of the places where I really wanted to work was the local cable company. It would have worked out great, partly because I thought the cable business was a good field to get into, and partly because it was within walking distance of my apartment. But, alas, they weren't hiring anybody because the company was up for sale.

I applied at a temp agency. A day later I had an interview.

Interviewer: Have you ever given a thought to working for a cable company?
        Me: Why, yes. Yes I have.
        Interviewer: I have to tell you, it's a day to day job... there's no guarantee you'll still have a job tomorrow. I'm not even sure exactly you'll be doing. They just said they need a couple of people with at least some customer service experience, and they need them right away.
        Me: Okay.
        Interviewer: Just so you know, there's almost no possibility you'll ever be hired full-time. And I can't offer you any hope you'll be kept on after the sale is completed.
        Me: I'll take my chances.
        Interview: If you can start the day after tomorrow, you have a job.
        Me: I'll be there.

So, a couple of days later, I showed up for training.

Trainer: Do you have any questions before we start?
        Me: To be honest, I don't even know what job I was hired for.

It turned out to be a pretty menial job. But, less than three months later, I was hired on full-time in customer service. The sale was completed and I was hired by the new company. A few months later, I was promoted to technical support. And recently, I've been promoted to an upper tier, at least as far as responsibilities go.

As I wrote to a friend, "The Luck Bank just called... they say I'm way overdrawn."
        I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

last year I went threw a temp agency, just because I wasn't having any luck on getting a job. Well they sent me to this company, and that company ruined my good clothes. They were talking to me, like I was going to get to work there. Pay would have been the best I had received at that time. The next day I called the agency to find out anything, and they told me that I was not needed anymore. about 3 months later, I started working with my buddy when he opened up his shop.
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Congrats and good luck. And you get to keep your hair!

Comment

Quoth BusyBee View Post
              This had me cracking up so bad. I'm gonna be giggling at work all day, thank you!

Best of luck with the interview! A couple friends of mine have worked in the cinema and they both greatly enjoyed it.

I do have one question though... Did you already cut your hair?
              No I did not! But... My Girlfriend is MAKING me cut my hair.

Comment

Update: OKAY! So I just went on my interview... Hell, I'm still in my dress shirt and pants... Which I despise!

-Deed Breaths- Anyway, it went very well. And UNLIKE Hess, there was no requests in altering my appearence (aside from Dress Code, which I'm fine with.)

So, hopefully the hireing manager will call me tommorow and I can get my job! WOO!

....I'm gonna be employed again...

Comment

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
                  NOOOO!!!! I'll be your girlfriend! Just no cut hair!

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
                    NOOOO!!!! I'll be your girlfriend! Just no cut hair!
                    Er, well thats kinda... strange. Sorry Tria, I'm sure you're a great person, but I'm not in love with you.

But... It's not a big deal really. The hair, like I have said several times in my other thread is not a statement or anything, it's just lazyness. I don't LIKE getting my hair cut. The entire experience is boreing, akward, annoying, and it costs me 20 bucks. So I said the hell with it and let it grow out. It's been seven years, and my hair is down to my waist. The problem I had was the idea that corperate wants me to look a certain way... Want to fit me into their mold and make me a battery operated drone, as opposed to a human fscking being...

But yeah, my girlfriend never seemed to have a problem with the hair in the past, but now she wants it chopped.

...No Fireing Squad emote, damn.

Comment

Hope you get the job, Will-Mun.

I just got lucky myself getting a new job a couple of weeks ago - was doing something I hated and had a headhunter call me out of the blue at the beginning of March wondering if I was still available as the last time I had talked to him was last fall.

I was, broke out the suit, and talked my way into a nice raise, an easier job, and one that I enjoy.

You'll get that call.

And I bloody well *LOVE* these lines

\This has got to be the best example of "When God closes a door, he opens a window."

B
                      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
                        Awwwww, you dodged a bullet only to run onto the landmine!
                        Not that your girlfriend is a landmine... I just like metaphors

Good luck with the callback!
                        Re: Quiche.
                        Pie is manly.
                        Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
                        Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
                        So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

Quoth BusyBee View Post
                          Awwwww, you dodged a bullet only to run onto the landmine!
                          Not that your girlfriend is a landmine... I just like metaphors

Good luck with the callback!
                          HA! Thats hillarious, cause when I was telling my friend last night about it I told him I "Dodged the bullet only to be smashed by the ballistic cruise missel."

So yeah, the girl should be calling today, cross your fingers!

Comment

I need some of your luck, Bandit! I applied for an academic library position and a position in the media this past week. Wish me luck. I need to get away from public libraries. I am burned out.

Comment

Erg.. I swear to all thats HOLY that Job Searching is ten times more frustrationg than ANY job that it may get you.

Update numero.. I don't know, 12 now? So... I went into Regal for an Interview, it went well in my opinion. The manager says she must talk to someone else before she can make a final decision. Okay, swell. She says she'll call me tommorow.

The next day I do indeed get a call... From ACME. They want me to come in for an Interview on Monday at 1pm... Okay, kinda waiting for Regal to call me back, but hey, if Regal says no...

I tell them yes, and start waiting once more. Around 8, I decide to give them a call. I call up, and get this guy...

Me: "Hi is the Hireing manager there?"
                              Guy: "Yeah, but she's busy..."
                              Me: "Oh, well I was there for an interview yesterday, and I was told I would get an answer today."
                              Guy: "It's saturday man, we're busy."

Uhg. I tell him I'll call back tommorow.

So next day comes I wait all day, call about 7ish. I talk to her, seems she hasn't had the chance to talk to the person she needs to yet... She said she'll get back to me as soon as she can...Uhg.

So! I go today to the ACME for an interview, THAT interview goes good too. The woman says she has to interview someone else, and that she will get back to me later tonight.

They just all want to make me wait. I don't have that luxery, I need a job damn it!

Comment

Working...
                              X