This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye bye job

So I'm back on the trenches. While I didn't get fired, the company made it clear that I would've lost my job anyway based on the fact that a few of the more difficult to manage kids basically triggered a major breakdown (talking suicidal ideation and hospitalisation here), but they were trying to resolve it amicably by having me leave.

I immediately started calling around trying to cope and got a mixed response. End result: appointment with case manager lady tomorrow to work out what help I need post discharge (most likely a brief psychiatrist visit and a referral to someone to examine me for ADHD), appointment with GP on Monday to revive my mental health care plan and/or chronic health management plan, appointment with an employment service provider to actually get me SOME work on same day and I have an appointment next week with a family planning clinic to discuss my implanon.

Now in the meantime, all I can do is sit, wallow and wonder why I was able to get two degrees when I can't seem to hold down a job.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Ouch, that bites, fireheart! I hope things work out better for you!
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Wow, sucktastic. I hope it works out. My mom, who teaches kids in a psychiatric hospital setting, went to the ER last week for chest pain/shortness of breath. Turned out to be anxiety triggered by the kids she was teaching that week- apparently they were REALLY bad (they're usually difficult, but that week she said they were just BAD). I know I couldn't handle your job.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Maybe you had difficulty doing THAT job. But that doesn't mean you won't be able to do a different one. Don't wallow, just take a deep breath, get whatever help you need, and don't be too hard on yourself, okay?
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Maybe you had difficulty doing THAT job. But that doesn't mean you won't be able to do a different one. Don't wallow, just take a deep breath, get whatever help you need, and don't be too hard on yourself, okay?
          QFT. You were able to get two degrees because you are smart and capable. It may take time, but you'll find a job that's a good fit.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm still somewhat drained and numb by this, but I've started looking elsewhere. I will get no welfare as my partner works full time and any welfare I do get is not directly linked to cash benefits (so for instance, I might qualify for a little rent assistance, but that's literally IT) so most of my stress is financial among other things.

I do have an appointment on Monday with an employment provider that is geared strictly towards mental health issues. My previous employer did provide me with some extra payments in good faith, so I've got a little extra "leaving" money.

Comment

That was good of them. Always good to see a company doing the right thing.

I used to work in the kitchen of a nursing home and hated it (I loved the residents and the staff though).
              Then I got a job in a CNC machine shop and I love it. Lets me flex my mental powers that had long been dormant.

Keep looking for that job that fits you, you have good skills and work ethic. So keep faith (and looking) for that job you will excel at.
              I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                Keep looking for that job that fits you, you have good skills and work ethic. So keep faith (and looking) for that job you will excel at.
                This. I hope you start feeling better soon, FH. All the best
                Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                What's the difference?
                We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

So at this stage, I've just had to update my wardrobe slightly. Most of my "professional" outfits are either too big or too messy, so cue the button up shirt shopping!
                  Eventually I managed to find 3, albeit one size up from my top size, simply because otherwise it highlights the boobs, which I don't want

Comment

I dunno, could be handy for an interview!
                    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                      I dunno, could be handy for an interview!
                      Yes...I'm sure I'd make for a memorable interview if one of my buttons pops off mid interview!

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        Yes...I'm sure I'd make for a memorable interview if one of my buttons pops off mid interview!
                        I believe the term is "wardrobe malfunction" and you'd be sure the interviewer would remember you...

Sorry to hear about what happened. I'm sure you'll land on your feet. I know I couldn't have done that job for even one hour.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

So I started looking at government jobs and while there are a few I could potentially do, my partner was like when he saw the approximate salary for them!

(To give you an idea, the lower-grade jobs start at around 50k, the "higher" level ones (which do require a little bit of training) start at 70k)

Comment

It'd be great if you could get one! Start applying! With two degrees I'm sure you'd be hired.
                            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Don't give up the idea of working with kids. There's so many different age ranges and types of positions. You have to find the combination that works for you. If you take me, for example, I'd have had a mental break down long before you did in your old job. I don't deal well with the little ones at all and frankly, they terrify me. Also, I'm not so good with high schoolers they are too attitude riddled. But I'm a kick ass middle grades teacher. I'm in my groove with kids between 12-14. I'm an abject failure with anybody else. Keep looking around for your "groove". It might take a while, but you'll find it.
                              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X