This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Being a Dickhead...But it's Funny

Found a new way of messing with my boss...

You all know how to rename an item on a computer desktop right? Right, good.
    On our sign in computer, just on a whim, I changed the name for our sign in program icon to something dumb, like "Minion Tracker."

Weeeell, turns out my boss does NOT know how to rename icons.

The next day I came in, there was a duplicate icon.
    Which I promptly renamed again to something equally stupid.

The next shift, there's another new icon.
    Changed it again.

So far it's been a month and we have six new sign in icons, all because my boss doesn't know how to rename them and is too scared to delete the shortcut in case she breaks something.

It's really, really silly, but it gives me a laugh. Next month, I'm going to change the names all back to the original, and watch her mind completely fracture at the sight of her 10000 little sign in icons.

Now, other people are starting to do it too. Came in yesterday to a new one called "Plebian Manager."

I think I might have started something.
    Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

I always used to change the icons too - for the longest time my computer had 'My Sharona' with this turned into an icon:
    instead of 'My Computer'
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
      "Minion Tracker."
      I like your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter Tumblr.

No lie, if we were still using our old family desktop at home, I'd be sorely tempted to do this to all of the program icons that Mom used. Just to break her brain.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Unfortunately, my last two jobs were in IT, so I had bosses who knew a lot about computers; this means that if I pulled that trick on them, they'd be breathing down my neck if they found out it was me after running various anti-virus programs to no avail.
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I would so love to do this but it would be a blatant information security violation.

Too bad I have several ideas already:

Innernet
          EMAIL!!!!!111!!!!ELEVEN!
          The thing that does that one thing
          No, the other thing
          I TOLD YOU NOT TO SCREW WITH THIS

Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 03-23-2015, 09:52 PM.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

"It is now safe to start using your computer."

Yes, once upon a time, I replaced Windows 95/98 halt screens with that - before the days of auto-power-down.

Comment

Back on the first computer we had it was in the dining room. For the screensaver it was just one with a message going across the screen. I set it up to say "Stay tuned for an important message." My father saw it and pointed it out to me like well, it was an important message.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
                Back on the first computer we had it was in the dining room. For the screensaver it was just one with a message going across the screen. I set it up to say "Stay tuned for an important message." My father saw it and pointed it out to me like well, it was an important message.
                "How do you keep a dumbass busy? See next message."

Not that I would ever do this or anything. Or have.

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  I would so love to do this but it would be a blatant information security violation.

Innernet
                  EMAIL!!!!!111!!!!ELEVEN!
                  No, the other thing

Oh my god I SO want to use these for somebody at work!! Except she'd come to me to ask what the hell was wrong with her computer and I'd laugh, I wouldn't be able to help it. And she can never find anything on her desktop anyway, even 5 seconds after naming it and saving it.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    I like your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter Tumblr.

No lie, if we were still using our old family desktop at home, I'd be sorely tempted to do this to all of the program icons that Mom used. Just to break her brain.
                    Reminds me of back when I worked at WD (2nd store) . . . one of my coworkers showed me how to change the colors on the fonts.

It was nothing for Mohair (our sweet yet somewhat nuerotic store manager) would come into the back DSD area and see hot pink and purple font on the screen.

Now if I could figure out how to do that on my current workstation . . . . might make some coworkers think twice before using it to log into work and not change it back to the DSD login screen. . . .
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

In one call center job I had, our trainer would do things like switch someone's computer to horrific color combination, turn the display upside down, and such as reminders that we needed to lock workstations when away from them.
                      Last edited by Seanette; 03-24-2015, 02:20 AM.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I once set the school's computer screen savers to say "Living it up at the Hotel California".

The teachers had to ask me to change it because they didn't know how to.

So I changed it to "My IQ test came back negative"
                        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

1) Close all the windows.
                          2) Create New folder. Name it something atrocious.
                          3) Screenshot.
                          4) Set screenshot as desktop picture.
                          5) Delete folder.
                          6) Profit.
                          My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

Innernet
                            EMAIL!!!!!111!!!!ELEVEN!
                            No, the other thing

I so want to do this to the icons on one of my boys' phones just to fuck with him. (the only one who could take the joke without flipping his shit, which is why I said just the one, and not all three.)
                            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

A friend once set her screensaver message to:
                              "If you want me, have me paged."
                              In a nice big bold font...
                              Unfortunately, it was so big the last word was truncated.
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                              X