This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Lovecats View Post
    When they filmed the first Hunger Games movie in NC Donald Sutherland was in the Target I worked at 2 weekends in a row. The second weekend he got carded by one of the younger cashiers who had no idea who he was.
    Does your store have a "just card everyone" policy? Donald Sutherland hasn't looked anywhere near underage since he was about fifteen, probably.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Work related:

-Waited on Payton Manning when I worked at an owl themed restaurant known for it's skimpy uniforms. Drunk college star athletes aren't always nice people.

-Both Madonna and Oprah Winfrey when I was a salesperson at an upscale department store. I was suddenly a bigger fan of Madonna, and refuse to watch/buy/read anything that has anything at all to do with Oprah ever since. The bitch was not the one you'd think it would have been.

Not work related:

-On two separate occasions, I met and interacted with Shaq and failed to recognize him until well into the conversation. The time at the zoo was pretty awesome for both of us, I think, as for those 5 minutes before the photographers showed up, he was just a random dad talking to a random mom at the zoo while our respective children squealed with delight at the chimps.

-Frankie Vallie.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Walter Payton visited my high school my senior year. He came and congratulated a fellow senior for winning a creative arts award. I could hardly believe it until I looked over my shoulder and there he was. I didn't have the nerve to talk to him.
        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

I hear Terry Pratchett was really great in person
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Hillary Clinton was in town once and was interviewed in the editorial offices. I wasn't able to get down there, though.

Doc Severinsen was in the building once and I THINK he was in the cafeteria line behind me. I only caught a glance at the guy and he was facing away from me, but judging by the blazer he was wearing, it was probably him

I think the governor has been in the building a couple of times (Andrew Cuomo) but again, I can't usually get anywhere near the offices these people go to.

However, I did get to meet Warren Buffet a couple of years ago when he came in for the publisher's retirement party. I didn't think to bring along a dollar bill for him to autograph, though, like everyone else did.

Not at work, but I've seen Robbie Takac of the Goo Goo Dolls at a local market. He works with a charity that provides musical instruments to low-income kids. Very sweet, down-to-earth guy.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Did not get to meet him personally, but former Green Bay Packers linebacker Tim Harris visited the swamp once. He was in town for a charity event in which he did a stint in the dunk tank, and purchased a water gun to shoot at the people trying to dunk him.

He signed an autograph for the store manager; I myself would've asked him to do his sack dance.

Not to sound my own horn but since I live in the very heart of Cheesehead Green and Gold Land I get to deliver to some of the players that either live here year round or just during the season. Most are decent people and decent tippers (I guess as long as you treat them like regular folks.)

Donald Driver once came into my pizza place. Everyone left him alone as he was just being a Dad out with his son having pizza.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                I hear Terry Pratchett was really great in person
                He was. I got to meet him at at least four book signings and three conventions, and at one of the conventions I was standing at the edge of the space where the awards ceremony was going to take place and bam, there he was beside me. We ended up having an awesome conversation for at least twenty minutes, during which he told me that he really liked getting invited to conventions in Australia because it gave him an excuse to go to Melbourne, where his favourite shirts were sold.

He was a lovely guy, passionate about a bunch of worthy causes, angry about a bunch more, and gone far too soon.

Comment

I remembered a few more:

-When I was in grad school one of the presidential debates was held at my university. Some friends and I were at a rally along the route the motorcade took to get to campus, and one of the candidates had his driver stop and opened up the window to say hello, and the Secret Service guy that was in the car gave a few of us some of their "official" lapel pins.

-Sean Taylor's mother was one of my students when I was teaching at a community college (she was my student both the term before and the term when he was murdered). I'd met him a few times. Awesome kid.

-During grad school one of my TA jobs was to tutor student athletes. A few of them are now NFL players, though the only name I can remember (I'm terrible with names) is Frank Gore. (And now everybody knows where I went to grad school.)
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

When I first moved to NC, I was working at a Walmart. At that time, I had no interest in NASCAR (well actually still don't).

A well-mannered, soft-spoken guy came through my line. I rang him up, treated him like a normal guy, whatever. As soon as he left, some of the other cashiers ran over, gushing "OMG OMG". I'm like "what?" They said don't you know who that was??????

Well, no, I didn't. Come to find out that I had just rang up the purchases of Dale Ernhardt Jr. Everyone else was excited. I was <shrug> Who's that?

Now I know LOL

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                      When they filmed the first Hunger Games movie in NC Donald Sutherland was in the Target I worked at 2 weekends in a row. The second weekend he got carded by one of the younger cashiers who had no idea who he was.
                      This made me giggle profusely

And I'm not sure how "recognised" she is, but I got to have the honor of meeting and listening to Isobelle Carmody for a Writer's week talk. My English teacher sent my friends and I off to meet her and then we had the rest of the day to do as we please.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I've never met anyone famous at any of my jobs. However when I was about 13 or 14...don't quite remember the age, I did meet O.J Simpson and got ta shake his hand.

My mom on the other hand... when she worked at the golf course, she got to meet Jamie Foxx, Dennis Quad, Al Pacino and Terrell Owens. The practice scenes in Any Given Sunday were filmed at the baseball arena of the sports complex in my hometown. When she worked at a restaurant known as my hometown's best kept secret, she got to meet one of the daytime t.v judges... Judge David Young. She also got to meet and wait on a couple of NASCAR drivers.. I know Richard Petty was one of them...can't remember who the others are I think Earnhardt Sr was one of them. At her current job she's waited on the Petty family.

My hometowns hosts the final race of the season for the Spring Cup (Winston Cup) series, Xfinity Series and Camping World Truck series. I lived a mile from the track...it was kind of cool and kind of annoying during race season.

Comment

At my last job, we had the rich and famous of both the local and world wide come thru
                          *all the Rooney's (wonderful down to earth people)
                          *Archbishop Donald Wurhl (so soft spoken and genuine)
                          *All local broadcasters (for anyone from da burg..a certain double digit channel has a weatherman who is a mean drunk)
                          *Steelers, Pirates, Penguins
                          *Jeff Goldblum (tall, so tall)
                          *Sally Struthers (asked for ID for her check by the sweet 16 yr old cashier)
                          *David Conrad
                          *John Leguizamo (O M G hothothot)
                          *and we were used as a way station for 2 days for the filming of Dark Knight Rises and because as manager I had to be there, I got to meet and hang out with some of the coolest people ever. Christopher Nolan's wife Kathleen and I spent an hour talking, and met Gary Oldman (sadly, no Christian Bale tho which was my ultimate dream)
                          *Numerous politicians from all over the world when the G20 was here (Russian dudes were scary looking but very nice)
                          Last edited by registerrodeo; 04-04-2015, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Quoth registerrodeo View Post
                            At my last job, we had the rich and amaous of both the local and world wide come thru
                            *all the Rooney's (wonderful down to earth people)
                            Does that include Wayne??
                            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I've worked on the houses for (and had them there when I was working, although 'met' might be a bit of stretch for some) Wendel Clark, Kevin O'Leary, James Reimer, Ed Belfour, and Chris Higgins.

I just realized how ridiculously Canadian that list is.

Also worked on the house/compound of a very famous A lister, and had to sign a confidentiality contract, but I will tell you it was the biggest pain in the ass project ever. We weren't allowed to bring in any personal belongings, including lunch, our tools, phones. We got searched every time we went through the gates, we had to give a tool and material list in advance, and they were delivered to site. We couldn't put gas in any machine, we had to call security to do it for us. The first day I was there they wouldn't let me bring in my adrenaline shots, they had a security guard assigned to follow me around all day, and if I got stung by a bee he was supposed to carry me to the nearest truck (the guard they assigned me was about 300lbs of nothing but muscle) for transport to the highway to meet an ambulance. The next day they had ordered 2 epi-pens that I could pick up at the gate when I entered. So glad when that job was over.
                              Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Not at work, but I met Alice Cooper when he was signing autographs outside of a Circle K in Phoenix. He seemed really nice and pleased to meet his fans.

Also in Phoenix, at my coin shop job, I met a local celebrity, Bill Thompson, one of the co-hosts of a well-loved children's show, Wallace and Ladmo. Hubby and he talked coins and had a pleasant chat, I was dumbstruck to meet one of my childhood heroes!

Oh yeah, and back when I was in third grade, Phoenix Suns player Walter Davis was at our school, and our teacher asked him to come into our class. We all got autographs. He seemed nice, and he really had to duck to come in the door!
                                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                                My LiveJournal
                                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                                X