This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job offer an insult?

My husband is a crane operator and does all his work on construction sites. They get paid pretty well, and since we got married last year he has brought me on several jobs with him as a firewatch. A firewatch is a lookout for the welders and the grinders to make sure that when they are working with flames and sparks, nothing catches fire. We stand by with an airhorn and a fire extinguisher. This pays way better than the restaurant (this is why I don't have many stories lately) but I am basically unskilled labor and not as worthy as a crane operator.

Out of town jobs pay per diem, so much money a day to cover your living expenses, in addition to your regular pay. Out of the four jobs I have worked out of town with him, only one did not pay me per diem because I was only a firewatch. The others all have, and it's like five hundred a week just in living expenses. Really nice addition to your paycheck.

The job we are on now is almost over, and he has one coming up with a company that will pay him per diem (as always) and double time after 40 hours rather than time and a half. At 84 hours a week, that is quite a lot. They said they could hire me as a fire watch, but I would not get paid per diem OR the double time rate (only time and a half). I feel like this is an insult, like my time is not worth their money, and so far I have refused to go. So far no other jobs have come along, and I'm not exactly broke, but not working will definitely not help anything. I had planned to work one more month for the company we are with now, (pays per diem to everyone) and then take the summer off with my husband, but their next job isn't until July.

So should I break down and work with him even though I think it's really insulting that not only are they paying me less than everyone else (which I understand), but they are not even willing to give me living expenses or double time like everyone else? I don't mean to sound prideful, I just think it's wrong. It's like saying a trained monkey could do my job and they don't really need me. If I don't take this job I won't really be able to enjoy my summer anyway because of lack of money, but if I do my dignity will be shattered. Grrr, it's so unfair! What do you think?
    Forget the job, it's not right to pay everyone else but you the good money.
    0.00%
    Yeah, it sucks but it's work. Go for it.
    36.84%
    Take the job and quit whining. Skilled work comes with perks.
    63.16%
    I HATE stupid people!

I don't think the company is being unreasonable. No company is going to spend money they don't have to -- especially when they can get the exact same thing for less.

Since firewatch is unskilled labour, they could just hire someone local to do the job, and not pay travel expenses and per diem When it comes to doubletime vs time and a half, you can be sure that's a huge expense that they would rather not pay. They are only offering it because if they don't the best skilled people will go elsewhere.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I think It's Me has it pretty well pegged.

In your shoes I'd go for it; but I'm not in your shoes.

Comment

Depending on what your hourly rate is...time and a half sounds pretty good. I guess it is totally up to you. It sounds to me like it is a job that most people would jump at and I am sure that if you don't take it someone else will. I don't know of any job that would pay anything more than minimum wage for an unskilled position that seems to require little more than eyes, arms, and legs.

Comment

Question: is the money they are offering for the firewatch position commeasurate with other people working in a similar firewatch position? If they are offering you what other firewatches make, the offer is not in any way insulting. If you they are offering less than they pay the others in the company, but still offering what a firewatch would make with other companies, than it seems they are only offering you less because, from what it sounds like, firewatches as a general rule MAKE less.

To put it in restaurant terms: It is not insulting to offer a dishwasher dishwasher pay. It would be insulting to offer a bartender or cook dishwasher pay. It would be unreasonable for a dishwasher to expect bartender or cook pay.

Sorry, I just don't see where the insult is. And with that, I'll pipe down.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            To put it in restaurant terms: It is not insulting to offer a dishwasher dishwasher pay. It would be insulting to offer a bartender or cook dishwasher pay. It would be unreasonable for a dishwasher to expect bartender or cook pay.
            And let me add to this one overriding question: is what they're offering you what you think that portion of your life is worth? Can you do something more valuable with your time? If so, turn down the position. If not, the position is probably worth it.

Comment

Sit down with a big sheet of paper.

Write down all the things you have learned about firewatch that a firewatch novice doesn't know. (Like flammable dust being a danger, or to watch for metal that's still hot enough to ignite something but not hot enough to look hot, or that sparks aren't just pretty.)

Write down anything else that makes you a better firewatch: maybe you have first aid certification or a proven track record in emergencies.

Rewrite all this in a neat, formal request for the pay you feel you're entitled to, backing up your request with evidence that you're worth the extra money to the company and more useful than the competition (given that the competition is someone hired off the street).

If they offer you the extra pay: great. If they don't, at least you have the reasons you deserve better pay than an inexperienced person off the street, ready for the next company.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Wow. Lol, there is only one word I can use to describe how I feel after reading these results. Owned! I must admit, I thought maybe "It sucks, but go for it" would be the winner.

Just to clarify, I have no problem with making less hourly than my husband. He should make more, he went out and got a skill, became really good at it, and got his name out there. People in this business want him, and I am proud of him. It would be an insult to him if we were paid equally.

My issues were with the fact that they were also offering these incentives for all the other craft-workers that they weren't offering firewatches. Although I do understand why they won't pay me per diem- they COULD hire locals to do it and not pay any extra. I still don't like it though.

I think my problem was simply that it felt like a slap in the face to be reminded that my time and work is not as valuable to them as most everyone else's is- including my husband and his friends that will be on this job. At home in the restaurant, I am top dog, even at only $8/ hour. In his world, I am at the bottom of the totem pole, and I so hate feeling like anything other than his equal. It doesn't help that crane operators tend to have rather large egos. Being the only one in our group who isn't worth the company's extra money is kind of embarassing to me.

However, after viewing the pole before work last night (I didn't really have time to read replies) I did what I had already felt like I needed to do and asked my husband to see if there is still room for me on the job. I know there might not be by now, but I only just found out that the other job I thought I was going on wasn't going to work out, so it's not like I waited too late out of pride or anything.

The plus side is that I might be able to get on as a helper instead of a firewatch this time. They don't get the per diem or double time either, but they get paid more than firewatches and it is a step toward advancement. That would be kind of a trade-off I guess.

I am trusting that God will open the doors on this one. Husband said he had a feeling things would work out this way, so maybe it was meant to be. Thanks to all of you who weighed in and put me in my place!
                Last edited by jayel; 04-28-2007, 02:06 PM.
                I HATE stupid people!

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post

sparks aren't just pretty.)
                  That's funny, because I do like watching the sparks, especially working at night! Btw, if you ever want to freak out a welder, wait until he's done, then tell him you really enjoyed watching him work with that pretty blue light. Say it with a straight face.

Quoth Sehat View Post
                  Write down anything else that makes you a better firewatch: maybe you have first aid certification or a proven track record in emergencies.

Rewrite all this in a neat, formal request for the pay you feel you're entitled to, backing up your request with evidence that you're worth the extra money to the company and more useful than the competition (given that the competition is someone hired off the street).
                  I like the take charge attitude, but the companies we work for sign contracts with the construction sites, so payment is pretty much non-negotiable. Especially for us peons.
                  I HATE stupid people!

Comment

Working...
                  X