Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most WTF things you've been asked at work.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad reminded me of our most stupid question we'd ever gotten from a customer EVER. Our unloading dock in the back had a very short ramp. It's meant for trucks and loading/unloading heavy products that customers brought in. It's just the right height that the tail gate of your normal sized pickup would just rest on the edge of the bay.

I warn customers of this as I do their paperwork and tags for their products. The customer is responsible for backing their trucks up and lowering the tail gates. This customer was picking up a lawn tractor.

SC: So how to do I get my mower into my vehicle?
    Me: After you head towards the exit, hang a left and go to the back of the building. We're the first bay. You'll be required to back your vehicle (or trailer) up to the dock. Once you're the correct distance, lower the tailgate or put the ramps onto the dock and the tech back there will help you load your tractor.
    SC: Tailgate? Ramps? I don't have either of those things! I'm in a CAR!!!
    Me: (Abort, Retry, Fail? FAIL) I don't think your lawn tractor is going to fit in a car, especially not the 46 inch deck sized. I'd recommend borrowing a pickup or at least a vehicle that can tow a trailer to get this.
    SC: No one told me I'd need a bigger vehicle! Can I borrow one of your vans?
    (Yeah, this idiot just asked to borrow a company van. I give 'em a little credit for a possible BSOD on their part too)
    Me: Sir, with the amount of equipment our vans hold, there is no way a tractor of this size is gonna fit in there. Heck, the van here today is so packed that you couldn't fit a push mower in it. (Lawn and Garden's spare van)
    SC: Can I make a phone call, please?
    Me: Sure. Press 9 and then dial the number you need. (pushes the counter's phone into reach)

SC calls the actual owner.* Turns out SC was renting the property and the owner would mow the grass. The SC had made some.. adjustments to the land and neglected to tell the owner. The adjustments were not visible, (due to grass + it being a huge hole) and when the owner hit it, it bent the steering arm and axle of the tractor. Owner had a service contract on the tractor, but told us that it was his customer's abuse and that the customer would be required to pay it as part of the rental agreement, as the SC created the hole without approval from the owner.

The thing the owner neglected to mention to the SC was that it was a lawn tractor.. not a lawn mower. I was going to say he probably thought the SC might have realized it, due to the fact that the rental had at least 5 acres of grass to go with it, but I think owner was just pissed off that badly.

Still... asking if you could borrow a company van?! *falls over laughing* You had to work for the company to even RIDE in one. I know, because I road in one for at least three years with Dad!

* The real owner could authorize a third party to pick up their equipment. All we needed was a name and that the person had to have a valid ID as well as a valid form of payment if necessary. It would be noted on the work order and life would go on.
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

SC: Do you have a doodiddle?
      Me: A... a what?
      SC: *completely expectant* Do you have a doodiddle.
      Me: (splenda? Coffee stirrer? male genitals?!)
      SC: You know. So my coffee doesn't burn my hand.
      Me: A... Sleeve...?

I'd classify this as more of a brain burp if she didn't completely act like I should know what she meant.

Comment

Quoth Josh View Post
        "Where do you keep the watch that when you shake it a screen pops up in the air?"

yes, this was a serious question.
        Answer: In the year 2025. Because I seriously don't think we have such things yet. Could be wrong, but...

Also, the "doodiddle" ...
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Chazzie View Post
          I'd classify this as more of a brain burp if she didn't completely act like I should know what she meant.
          I get this all the time. Usually from customers (when that happens I give them two chances to explain in a way that makes sense to me), but occasionally from Shithead. When that happens we throw it right back at him.
          SH: Hey K, where's the doohickey?
          K: What?
          SH: You know, the doohickey.
          Me: It's right next to the thimgamabob on the whatchamacallit.
          SH: No it's not.
          Me: Not that whatchamacallit, the other one. You should know, you put it there last time.
          *SH finds whatever he was looking for*
          K: How the hell did you know what he wanted?
          Me: I have no freaking clue, I just like messing with him.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Today this happened. Note, sometimes when there is a long wait people will take numbers even if they aren't quite ready yet. These people are thinking ahead, which is good. This was not one of those people. She wasn't sucky, and I don't think I'm adequately conveying the oddness, but here it is.

Confused Lady: I'm not ready, should I take a number?
            Me: Well, there's no one else waiting, so you should wait until you're ready.
            Confused Lady: So I shouldn't take a number yet?
            Me: You should wait until you're ready.
            Confused Lady: Okay, I'll wait then. *goes away*

Customer I was helping: That was really weird.
            Last edited by notalwaysright; 07-23-2015, 02:56 AM.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
              I offer three camels as payment...
              Regular non-filter, filter, light...?

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                "How much is that ten dollar ad?"
                Today only special, $15 plus $5 ID-10-T fee.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

From my boss:

"In the future, can you schedule server failures for more convenient times?"
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

He's cribbing from Dilbert, isn't he?
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                      --snipped quote here--
                      During my time at Random Craft Store, I used to set the weekly ad with one of my awesome co-workers, Robin. The conversation above is so similar to what we would have that by the time she left Random Craft Store, anyone who worked with us knew what thingamabobs, doohickeys, whatamacallits, and thingies were by then. Half the time we couldn't remember the name of the ad sign holder so we made up names for them.

Seriously, I could ask a co-worker to go get me twenty thingamabobs and they'd come back with the exact ad sign holders I needed.
                      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        He's cribbing from Dilbert, isn't he?
                        It wouldn't surprise me. The more I read that strip, the more it starts becoming true
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                          It wouldn't surprise me. The more I read that strip, the more it starts becoming true
                          I seem to recall that Scott Adams once said (possibly in The Dilbert Principle) that no matter how odd, strange, or surreal the situations he puts in Dilbert, the #1 comment he gets is, "That's just like my company."
                          "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
                            I seem to recall that Scott Adams once said (possibly in The Dilbert Principle) that no matter how odd, strange, or surreal the situations he puts in Dilbert, the #1 comment he gets is, "That's just like my company."
                            I wonder if, as he has said in the past, that most (say 90% after he left Bell or wherever he worked) of the Dilbert strips are actually based on emails and messages from readers in companies all over the spectrum.

Wonder of wonders a self writing comic strip.
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

The most WTF question I was ever asked:

Working at a convenience store, a man walked in and asked, Do you know anyone who builds post and beam houses?"

Comment

Someone asked the bartender I worked with yesterday if she could make the train quieter.
                                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Working...
                                X