This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish me luck

In about 40 minutes, I start my first shift of my new job.

I'm now a "Summer Assistant" at the Front Desk of my college residence (Rez).
    The Rez basically turns into a hotel for people in town for various conventions and such, so I'll be having all the fun of both working in a hotel AND a residence.

And lucky me, I get the Midnight to 8a.m. shift, Thursday through Mondays. I probably won't be doing many check-ins or check-outs on this shift, but I will get the fun task of preparing sets of keys ahead of time for group bookings, especially for the times there are 100 or more people checking in at a time.

We got a week's worth of training, though today consisted mostly of checking and cleaning rooms, because our cleaning service is very behind from most of the students who were moving out for the summer.

Now, some of you may have tweaked on the fact that I said "Today in training," and "I start my first shift in 40 minutes." That's right. Today, I had training from 9-4, and now I have a shift from Midnight-8. I did manage to sleep from about 6-11 though, so I won't be dying from lack of sleep or anything.

So, even though I think I'll do well, I still ask you all to wish me luck And any tips/tricks/advice from anyone who's worked desk at either a hotel or a residence would be appriciated, as I know we've got at least a few of you out there.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

No experience here, man, but good luck, and lets hope you don't need it!
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Good luck Broom! Hmm, midnight till 8... get used to drunken fools.

Dragonlover
      You have no idea how many ponchos can fit in a box- Me, after may first day at the warehouse

Comment

Well, you've obviously already started the job, and are probably near the end of your workday, so I hope all went well.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Just about to finish the shift now, but since practically nothing went on, I'll ask for future donations of good luck and wishes (Gotta save up for the bad times you know.)

Eight hours of "Wow, we've got 18 sprinkler heads in the lobby?"
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

No experiance but my thoughts will be with you!!
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              Eight hours of "Wow, we've got 18 sprinkler heads in the lobby?"
              Hmmm...if that's the case, see about the possibility of smuggling a good book...
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Since you've got the sprinkler heads covered, I suggest moving up to the more-challenging "holes in the ceiling tiles" category.

Seriously, Spiffy was right - a good book works wonders, as does a little (possibly covert) Internet surfing, if you can. Anything that keeps you mentally alert is good, be it reading, writing or whatever.

Good luck!!
                Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Working...
                X