This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lot of changes and some reminiscing

Since the new pay plan was rolled out in January of this year, we've had a lot of turnover in Home Improvement (which consists of Lawn and Garden, and Tools). Total number of people lost: 14. That's between moving on from our company, and moving to a diffrent department. I can tell you, only 3 went onto a different department. Since then, we have added new employees, not as many as we need, but we have added them.

I became the Home Improvement supervisor, I'm directly under the Home Improvement manager. Which yay, I got a promotion out of the deal. (Whatever) My district manager was the one that insisted I go for the job when it came open. The guy likes me and I don't know why.

Today was Bob's last day. Bob was my manager until October 15th when he stepped down. Best manager you could ever ask for, hands down. So today during a slow time he and I stopped to talk.

He told me, "I always knew that at some point, you'd move up within this company. You're my best hire here, and probably my best hire ever. You've always done so well." Then he added, "I remember when you started to remind me of me!"

I had only been there for about 4 months, and we had to deal with an extremely rude customer. We ask for a phone number when we have peple go through merchandise pickup. Here's the exchange:

Me: Alright... your total comes to $100 (it was more, but I don't remember the exact number). Can I get your phone number?
    SC: I don't answer it.
    Me: We're not going to call it, it's just for warranty and picking up this merchandise.
    SC: The number is 555-555 (he actually gave me those numbers)
    Me: (Without missing a beat) You're missing a digit.

Bob said he had to go the backroom so he could laugh.

I know retail is known for a lot of turnover and change in the personnal. I was here for nearly 3 years before any major staff changes happend. Sure people came and they went, but those people, even though I don't remember their names I can count them all. We've always had that same core grop. That number is less than 10. That includes seasonal help. So we had a crew that had been there a very long time, and knew what was going on. All the personnal changes started happening between Jan through April. It's May now, I've been there just over 3 years and it was just supposed to be a part-time job. Semper Fi.
    When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?
Working...
X